Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 11.11.32 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 11.11.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 11.11.39 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 11.11.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 11.11.42 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 96
I've got a AHR CZ Lott and with synthetic stock with Luepold VXR 2-7x33mm scope with Tally QD rings and sling, it weighs 10lbs 8 ounces unloaded. Don't have the recoil reducer. Personally, I don't think the recoil is that bad. Seems your experience is similar. I also have a 1x-6 power scope for it with the same rings in case I want to swap out the scopes. I like a bit more top end magnification than 4x.

I have been looking around for a 416 or 458 Lott for a long time now as they are not the easiest rifles to come by in Australia especially more recently. A lot of the bigger wholesalers/importers have stopped bringing in the bigger calibres and now only bring in the 375H&H's.

All though I love my RSM in 375H&H and will never let it go I have been itching for something with a bit more boom for a while now.

Yesterday I purchased a secondhand Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott it was just by chance I stumbled across it while actually inquiring about a different rifle. It looks to be in excellent condition (apart from one mark on the stock) and looks like it has spent far more time in a safe than out in the field so I threw an offer at the owner and they accepted. All though I haven't got my hands on it yet I am more than happy with my purchase so far, Kimber seem to have a reasonable reputation and their build quality looks excellent.

The only thing I would have liked is a bit more weight, with the bases, rings and scope I am going to mount on the rifle it will come in at around 9.3 pounds. I believe my RSM bare is around 10.2 pounds? So there is quite a difference in weight and I love the way the RSM tames recoil with that weight it is very comfortable to shoot. Having said all this the CZ's look like they weigh around 9.1-9.3 pounds bare and I am sure there is plenty of people around the world shooting these bare with open sights.

Anyone here had much experience with the lighter weight bigger calibre rifles? My main concern is zeroing the scope off the bench, I have never used a "sissy pad" before but I'm starting to think I may have to invest in one haha
A few photos below of the rifle.
View attachment 327801
View attachment 327802
View attachment 327803
View attachment 327804
View attachment 327805
View attachment 327806
Very nice rifle. I love my Ruger .458 Lott, shoot a lot of 350 gr Speer HotCors out of it. claimed 2850 fps using Alliant Power Pro Varmint, from Speer on-line rifle data. Fairly good trajectory. I think your stock mark might be removed by rubbing it with your thumb or finger for a while. You can use the light oil from the side of your nose to rub it with. I've disappeared a few dings like this on Weatherbys. I suggest this only, I've had some luck with the method, but can't really tell the depth of your scratch. Doesn't much matter anyway, as any rifle in use gets doings.

Have you had a chance to shoot yet? I think a lot of people psyche there selves out before even pulling the trigger. My Lott weighs 8.2lbs when working up loads on a bench 10-12 rounds and I have to take a break. I can easily do 40 rounds in a day off of sticks and different field positions. I think a key to shooting some of the bigger calibers is to shoot often.

... I think a key to shooting some of the bigger calibers is to shoot often.

The way I work it I will practice with a lighter recoiling rifle, then the big bore (5-10) rounds and then the lighter recoiling rifle again. I have found this helps with not developing a flinch. The other of course is to "let recoil happen".

Put a dead mule in the stock and that will make a huge difference.

Have you had a chance to shoot yet? I think a lot of people psyche there selves out before even pulling the trigger. My Lott weighs 8.2lbs when working up loads on a bench 10-12 rounds and I have to take a break. I can easily do 40 rounds in a day off of sticks and different field positions. I think a key to shooting some of the bigger calibers is to shoot often.
Yeah I've put about 50 rounds through it already (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg