Just for fun Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle after many many years

Seeing how many here are interested in the old days of hunting in Africa I thought there might be some interest in the classic Mauser Broomhandle.I finally picked up a Mauser 'Bolo' Broomhandle about two weeks ago. I would describe it as a good shooter quality pistol. It was at an estate auction and I got it. Mechanically it's in good shape. Most of the blueing is gone and the grips are aftermarket, but it's still a genuine Mauser Broomhandle with all matching parts (as in all matching serial numbers).......with the exception of the grips. This has been one of my grail guns for many decades. I'm not a wealthy man so I buy what I can afford. This one set me back about $800.00. It isn't pretty , but the pistol is in good mechanical condition. I took it apart (wow the engineering that went into this pistol is incredible) and everything is solid. The bolt stop is not cracked. The bore is in good condition, but there is some pitting. The safety works like it's supposed to. The magazine spring is a little worn out and I'm going to replace the recoil spring and main spring as well, but I believe there will be no trouble firing it. According to the serial number,and research on post-war Bolos, it was made sometime during the 1920's. I've wanted a Mauser Broomhandle ,especially the Bolo variant, since I was literally in fifth grade (1979). It, alongside the Webley Mk VI and the S&W Model 27 with the 3.5" barrel, are my Grail Guns. I now have the Webley and the Mauser. Yes I plan on shooting it. I now have ammo that I got from Midway and I've ordered springs from Wolff.

@Jcordell
Sounds like all you need now is the 10 round stripper clips.
My father acquired one in the Korean war. He said it was the sweetest hand gun he had used. He even had the wooden stock attachment for it. Some one stole it while he was in hospital after being wounded. I think his was the Chinese copy.
Bob

@Nyati
Nah a must have for a pistol collection is a Webley Forsbey semi automatic revolver.
Google it and you will see why with its zig zag marks on the cylinder.
Bob

Sure Bob, but I wrote pistol collection.

Without any doubt, a Webley Forsbey would be the star of any revolver collection

Cheers mate :D Cheers:

Sure Bob, but I wrote pistol collection.

Without any doubt, a Webley Forsbey would be the star of any revolver collection

Cheers mate :D Cheers:
@Nyati
That's why I like the Webley Forsbey. It falls into both categories because it is both revolver and semi auto. If a pistols a semi auto and magazine fed then the cylinder becomes a rotary magazine as it is rotated automatically and the hammer is recycled on each pull of the trigger. It also doesn't need the slide racked to chamber a round. Load pull the double action trigger and it is then semi auto.
Best of both worlds.
Bob

Unusual mad mate but as long as it works and is safe. How hard is it to get the half moon clips mate.
Bob

I've never had to find more I imagine they'd have to be machined. We've got a couple that have lasted longer then I've been alive.
I should clarify dad used it on cattle in a head gate not in the field.

I'm also going to throw in a disclaimer that I don't recommend anyone do it. To my knowledge a .45 acp is equivalent to a proof round every time it's fired. Necessary as they say is the mother of invention.

That being said fathers has had many hundreds of rounds through it and keeps performing. I've also heard of .45 auto rim being used but can't comment on personally.

I've never had to find more I imagine they'd have to be machined. We've got a couple that have lasted longer then I've been alive.
I should clarify dad used it on cattle in a head gate not in the field.

I'm also going to throw in a disclaimer that I don't recommend anyone do it. To my knowledge a .45 acp is equivalent to a proof round every time it's fired. Necessary as they say is the mother of invention.

That being said fathers has had many hundreds of rounds through it and keeps performing. I've also heard of .45 auto rim being used but can't comment on personally.
@Skinnersblade
I was thinking the same thing a bit over pressure but you could load it down to suit. Does the 45 auto rim work ok. They would be like finding rocking horse poop now tho..
Bob.

@Skinnersblade
I was thinking the same thing a bit over pressure but you could load it down to suit. Does the 45 auto rim work ok. They would be like finding rocking horse poop now tho..
Bob.

I've never actually used it I've heard of it's use in the old wobbly webley but have never been able to sorce some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!