Is This Trophy Import Insurance Quote Crazy?

hound_hunter

AH member
Reaction score
I feel like I need maybe 30% of what this insurance policy covers. But this is the policy recommended to me by Safari Fly Logistics (I think a company my outfitter, Infinito Safaris, operates).

Am I crazy? Or is this policy crazy?

Anyone here with experience willing to chime in on how much insurance I actually need for these completed mounts? Or is this a normal policy that most of you would be willing to commit to?

All-in, it's looking to be $10,000+ to get my trophies shipped to my door (so any money saved by having them mounted overseas is out the window). I just have to hope the mounts are close to the quality of taxidermy I'm used to here at home...

$1,836 - Packing, Crating, RSA freight charges
$4,725 - Shipping RSA to Houston, TX
$1,708 - Shipping insurance RSA to TX
$2,850 - Freight Texas to Utah

TrophyInsurance.jpg

The replacement values they gave are full retail value (and high). Usually replacement value is just replacement value of cost of cape and horns and the insurance would only be a few hundred dollars or much less. In my opinion though there is really no way to collect on the insurance if there is damage. You have to trust the shipper actually wants to help you collect on insurance. Then they may dispute where the damage actually occurred, could have started with field prep, dip and pack, shipping to port of entry, shipping to final destination before you know there is damage. I’ve never not received a shipment from any continent. There was a shipment with several missing trophies on packing list but they never made the box. The shipper went silent and I had no ability to collect any insurance. The damage that has occurred was always fixable in USA. I’ll decline insurance on all future shipments.

Last edited:
Good luck ever collecting any insurance on the RSA to US coverage. I stopped paying that portion many trips ago.
Makes framed pictures start to look mighty attractive.

I don't think the amount is over inflated. I believe I paiI $900 for 8 shoulder mounts. What I am impressed with is the freight cost for the amount of mounts you have. I got my 8 back last December and it was $5400 for air freight to Houston. Coppersmith charge $1300 for handling and delivery to San Antonio.

For $2850 I would drive to Houston or Dallas and pick them up. The Insurance does not seem too bad for your list, if would actually pay you in the event of a loss.
I considered this, but after estimating flight, 1-way UHaul rental, gas, and food, I think it would still cost me $2,300 to do that portion myself. Not to mention having to take a day or two off work, and having it have to be last minute because who knows the exact day trophies will arrive for pickup.

And that's not accounting for any hotel(s) or good meals if I end up tired. I still might do this, but I don't think it will save much relative to the hassle.

I don't think the amount is over inflated. I believe I paiI $900 for 8 shoulder mounts. What I am impressed with is the freight cost for the amount of mounts you have. I got my 8 back last December and it was $5400 for air freight to Houston. Coppersmith charge $1300 for handling and delivery to San Antonio.
That sounds like a good price for air freight. This quote is for ocean freight, which I don't love the thought of finished mounts sitting in the ocean heat for 2 months. But from what I've heard air freight is usually around double what ocean freight is.

Also worth noting a lot of these are just bleached skulls and flat skins.

The replacement values they gave are full retail value (and high). Usually replacement value is just replacement value of cost of cape and horns and the insurance would only be a few hundred dollars or much less. In my opinion though there is really no way to collect on the insurance if there is damage. You have to trust the shipper actually wants to help you collect on insurance. Then they may dispute where the damage actually occurred, could have started with field prep, dip and pack, shipping to port of entry, shipping to final destination before you know there is damage. I’ve never not received a shipment from any continent. There was a shipment with several missing trophies on packing list but they never made the box. The shipper went silent and I had no ability to collect any insurance. The damage that has occurred was always fixable in USA. I’ll decline insurance on all future shipments.
Good points, thanks. I never thought about it being improbably to be able to collect on the claim, but that makes sense with it being international and having multiple parties involved (outfitter, transporter, shipper, port of entry, etc) that might just not be responsive making insurance not willing to accept the claim. That sucks.

Has anyone heard of any reputable insurance companies for this use that don't make it a hassle? I don't mind paying in for peace of mind and never having to use it. I do mind paying a company and not having peace of mind that they'll even care if I need them.

Good points, thanks. I never thought about it being improbably to be able to collect on the claim, but that makes sense with it being international and having multiple parties involved (outfitter, transporter, shipper, port of entry, etc) that might just not be responsive making insurance not willing to accept the claim. That sucks.

Has anyone heard of any reputable insurance companies for this use that don't make it a hassle? I don't mind paying in for peace of mind and never having to use it. I do mind paying a company and not having peace of mind that they'll even care if I need them.
I really don’t know anyone who has ever collected on insurance to know. I really don’t think it’s worth money. I think you are better off choosing a good customs broker who is willing to work for you in event of a problem and has seen various problems over years. I don’t think any insurance company would just hand over $114k without fighting for years for a heavily reduced settlement. If you even could collect.

Last edited:
Looking at your list with 2 dozen trophies, $10,000 really doesn’t seem too bad. Are they all mounts or some euro? That has to be a huge crate.

I got scammed by the so called “Insurance”. Ask for a copy of the Insurance Certificate and check with who is the insurance. Once you have the certificate, you can contact the insurance company to see if it is valid or not. It seems too high to me.

After getting hosed on the first shipment, I declined it on the next five. Like others have posted, good luck getting a foreign insurance carrier to pay.

Looking at your list with 2 dozen trophies, $10,000 really doesn’t seem too bad. Are they all mounts or some euro? That has to be a huge crate.
Many euro’s & flat skins. Including the giraffe & hippo. But yes, still likely to be a large crate. I’ve been interested to see the crate dimensions but haven’t seen it yet. I’m just glad they’re saying it will all fit in 1 crate!

Good to hear $10K doesn’t sound too crazy. I expected it to be between 6K-7K, so it’s a big shock to me. But always just good to know I’m not getting ripped off.

I think cancelling insurance should help (or at least asking to reduce to $30K coverage or something).

If I decide I can swallow the pill to get this all home I’ll report back with the crate size & pics someday.

I know the problem; they forgot to state Rand vs Dollars. Insurance in Rand would be about right.

So, how in hell can you have shipping insured for more money ($6561.79) than the invoiced shipping cost $4,725?

Waste of money to insure it and then fight to get it is a bigger waste of time and money.

Here's your replacement Impala shoulder mount for sale in RSA. $156.00 USD

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 15.24.45.png

You figure the insurance will give you $2500 USD for your damaged Impala? LOL.

So, how in hell can you have shipping insured for more money ($6561.79) than the invoiced shipping cost $4,725?
Don’t forget the +10% line item at the bottom too so actually $7217.97 insured shipping cost

Our combined insurance charge for Two crates (2 hunters) with 18 animals was $575 in 2021. Mostly euros & skins, (only 5 shoulder mounts). No buffalo so weight and replacement value would be well under the OP's.

Decline the Ins. and either pick it up yourself or have someone else do it for you. In essence, cut that bill in half. Never paid the ins., never had a problem. Always picked the shipment up myself. Q: Why is it going to TX?? Can't it be shipped/flown closer to you, to a major hub?

I have never done shipping insurance or freight from arrival port. I just air freight to Coppersmith in Dallas and pickup myself. This results in a small Coppersmith bill, no freight, and no extras. I have lost one hide out of 25 and the PH and Taxidermist offered to send me another hide, but I am willing to risk my trophies because I have too many already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Declan4098

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you