Is my 700 nitro ammo real?

Rpshan

Reaction score
I acquired a round online from ammo-one1.com
The guy seems super nice and knowledgeable and legitimate. He’s apparently been selling odd ammo and cases for a long time.

Anyway, I bought a 700 nitro round and when I got it, it seems like it’s only halfway full of powder. I can lit rally shake it and it sounds like a maraca.
Anyone else have experience to know how much powder should be in a round? I need to make sure this is legitimate before I wind up using or selling it.
I was told it came from “Colorado custom cartridge”

What made me think is, I bought a 4bore round and it feels almost completely full of powder. So by comparison the 700 nitro feels wrong or not full

Interesting! BTW, did you ask the question to the individual you bought the cartridge from?

No, it’s not supposed to rattle like that.

Interesting! BTW, did you ask the question to the individual you bought the cartridge from?
I haven’t really wanted to to call him back yet. I was hoping first someone else with some legitimate rounds could give a shake and see if I’m crazy or if it SHOULD be full

I don't own a 700NE, but in my experience, nothing I've ever loaded can be described as "maraca-like" unless I have really messed up.

I have no personal experience with the 700NE. When I look at load data and powder density and do the math, for something like reloader 15, there will be plenty of empty case. Other powders fill the case better but it seems entirely plausible to me that there are powders that would rattle a lot even with full-power loads, let alone modestly reduced loads.

Do not fire it! It could damage your 700!

It depends on the powder used. For example, if 30-06 is loaded with IMR 4895 there is a good powder rattle duel to the low load density. Likewise IMR4831 is probably compressed with no rattle whatsoever.
I’d say it’s probably correct, but there is no way to be sure by listening.

Probably loaded as a dummy round, i would bet that 95% of any 700 ammo made is sold to collectors of ammunition. Not many 700ne rifles exist.

I looked at buying the 700ne on GI and a Bertram case is almost $40 each!

You cannot tell by shaking a cartridge. A simple question to the seller should tell you if it's a live cartridge.

As a general rule for shooting ammunition of any kind. If you are unsure of it's origins, don't attempt to use it.

I thought you might be interested in how H&H packages these rounds for sale.

Image1715352379.517205.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColetteJ48

Latest profile posts

BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.