Interesting rifle # what scope mount is this?

DG870

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA ( NE, SD, CO, WY, OK, TX)
Stopped in LGS today and they had this Husqvarna rifle in 9.3x57. Does anyone know what kind of mount this needs in the front dovetail and if rings are available.

Thanks
B83EED6F-E62D-4216-B217-5F02191D79D7.jpeg
85619340-4913-4ED9-972D-AC2AF436C295.jpeg

This is the rear base for a German claw mount, also sometimes called a Suhl claw mount because it was developed in the city of Suhl during the golden age of German rifle craftmanship (late 1800's / early 1900's). The front base is missing. It should be in the dovetail on the barrel ring, and it is supposed to be permanently fixed. In most cases, a traditional Suhl mount involved silver soldering the bases, in addition the dovetails. Occasionally a set screw replaced the silver soldering.

To install the scope, the front scope ring's, or rail clamp's, two claws are supposed to swing down into the front base from the top, and the rear scope ring or rail clamp's two claws are supposed to insert into the rear base where the spring loaded bar snaps over them.

To remove the scope, the two "ears" of the rear base are pulled back, this frees the rear scope ring's, or rail clamp's, two claws, and the scope can be swung up and out.

This has long been considered the Rolls Royce of detachable mounts and it is absolutely reliable when properly installed, but installation is long and delicate as the front claws must be stoned with absolute precision to match the base. This explains why it is now regrettably mostly something from the past, but New England Custom Gun in Claremont, NH typically has some parts, and a few old hands like Paul Chapman at Griffin & Howe in Hackettstown, NJ know how to use them.

Claw mount bases - compressed.jpg

Claw mount front claws - compressed.jpg

Claw mount scope insertion - compressed.jpg

Dumoulin .338 Win Mag.jpg

A well executed claw mount is very tight, and is typically greased. This one is on a custom made Dumoulin .338 Win Mag stutzen carbine. A perfectly adapted rifle for deep-woods silent stalking of massive European boars.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northerngos

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.