Inflation

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Joined
Nov 3, 2018
Messages
10,456
Reaction score
22,038
Location
Colorado
Media
27
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
This thread is all about nothing, really, unless your bringing eggs, milk and/or a Marlin 336 .30-30 or Schwinn bicycle with you on your hunting trip. But, I find it interesting to see what we, our parents or grandparents paid for things back in the day, compared to relative prices now. This is according to the online U.S. Inflation Calculator. I'm sure many other countries have their own inflation calculator. I just chose a few things at random for comparison.
1950: dozen eggs, $.60. Todays' price would be $6.81
1950: gallon milk, $.83. Today: $9.42
1963: Marlin 336 .30-30 rifle: $82.00. Today: $733.09
1965: Schwinn Deluxe Stingray Bicycle: $56.95. Today: $494.59
1980: Gallon gas, $1.19. Today: $3.95/gallon
Our parents/grandparents spent a hell of a lot more for things than I ever imagined given inflation. We bought our granddaughter a "stingray" style bicycle last summer for about $100 bucks. Yeah, I know made in China, but she'll outgrow it in two years and not much else out there anyway right now? The point being, we often take for granted what we pay for things now (reloading components the exception Ha! Ha!) in relation to what our previous generations paid for many items. I just find it interesting.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,254
Messages
1,570,831
Members
169,183
Latest member
MarianoMer
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top