I have a mature bull buffalo question...

Tundra Tiger

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
I saw a new thread about a member seeking a mature bull buffalo. There was a photo.

Confession: I have not had a chance to hunt bull buffalo. But if/when I do... I want a mature bull that has all of both horns. He doesn't have to hit any magical number, but I want mine to have horns. This is NOT saying anything bad about those lusting after the old ones missing their horns (a scrum?). There are folks on here whose opinion I respect to the moon and back, and I know many of them desire scrums.

I am posting this because... am I alone in my desire to have one with all of his horns? I feel like I am certainly in the minority.

Just looking to see if there are other misguided, twisted individuals like me. If you're afraid to say so, please raise your coffee cup in the safety of your own home and say "Amen brother!" Please and thank you.

Again not criticizing anyone else's choices, not even a little. Just looking for a little bit of validation, even a teensy bit. In other news I like my steak well done, I am not impressed with Cutco knives, Picasso sucks but Van Gogh rocks, lever actions are where it's at, and long haired BBW are as good as it gets.

Yea I have a couple fully intact Buffalo and I personally would love a old brute that was broken with some character at this point.

I saw a new thread about a member seeking a mature bull buffalo. There was a photo.

Confession: I have not had a chance to hunt bull buffalo. But if/when I do... I want a mature bull that has all of both horns. He doesn't have to hit any magical number, but I want mine to have horns. This is NOT saying anything bad about those lusting after the old ones missing their horns (a scrum?). There are folks on here whose opinion I respect to the moon and back, and I know many of them desire scrums.

I am posting this because... am I alone in my desire to have one with all of his horns? I feel like I am certainly in the minority.

Just looking to see if there are other misguided, twisted individuals like me. If you're afraid to say so, please raise your coffee cup in the safety of your own home and say "Amen brother!" Please and thank you.

Again not criticizing anyone else's choices, not even a little. Just looking for a little bit of validation, even a teensy bit. In other news I like my steak well done, I am not impressed with Cutco knives, Picasso sucks but Van Gogh rocks, lever actions are where it's at, and long haired BBW are as good as it gets.
You had me right up to well done steaks and BBW’s

Do not be intimidated in any way!!! Hunting buffalo is very personalized with no wrong answers at all! On my first one I wanted a 40 inch mature buff and got better. Going on my second hunt in 23. Right now me personally I will not take a scrum cap or bull with horns I do not like unlike many people on this forum and I am absolutely fine with that and am non apologetic to anyone…I know what I want and pay good money for it. Having said this, yes at this time in my life and third Safari it is much more about the hunt experience than actual animal. Hope this helps

For a first Buffalo, I’d like a nice mature representative of the species. I also believe that shape is a personal taste, much like a kudu.

So no, you’re not an outlier, and I’d venture a guess that the majority of members drooling over a scrum cap bull already have a few nice guys hanging on their walls!

For a first Buffalo, I’d like a nice mature representative of the species. I also believe that shape is a personal taste, much like a kudu.

So no, you’re not an outlier, and I’d venture a guess that the majority of members drooling over a scrum cap bull already have a few nice guys hanging on their walls!
What he said.

The criteria seem to differ widely:
Big body
Old
Shape of horns if all there
Character if some horn is missing.

My one and only so far was a non-trophy, but nice and old. The shape of his horns are very pleasing, to me anyway - tips below the boss, not too deep a dip, good symmetry. Now and again you see a bull that just looks odd, there is no balance and sweep.
My next bull I would like to be old and gnarly, broken horn or scrum cap. And the next....

The criteria seem to differ widely:
Big body
Old
Shape of horns if all there
Character if some horn is missing.

My one and only so far was a non-trophy, but nice and old. The shape of his horns are very pleasing, to me anyway - tips below the boss, not too deep a dip, good symmetry. Now and again you see a bull that just looks odd, there is no balance and sweep.
My next bull I would like to be old and gnarly, broken horn or scrum cap. And the next....
Sounds like he is a trophy in your own eye, and that’s all that matters!

To each their own. My only Bull was old, Hard Bossed, 42” and a challenge to hunt…

I wasn’t on a “Buffalo” hunt, but open to the possibility and it presented itself. We had to drive several hours and stay the night to hunt this solo Bull and it worked out… I was thrilled with the experience and outcome.

It wouldn’t have concerned me if he was smaller or in better/younger condition…

I’ve passed on bigger since this one…

41D9AF1B-CED3-46F0-8080-C0508F763319.jpeg

I likely hunt more - when I retire and build a bigger trophy room!

I agree with several others, for my first buffalo I’m like you in that it doesn’t have to be any particular size but one with nice symmetry and preferably some deep curls. I have my first buffalo hunt booked for next June and hope to have a nice bull for a pedestal mount. If I go for another buffalo hunt after that then I’ll keep my options open.

There are a few members here I fully believe they want a scrum cap bull. Most that write about it though I really wonder if a 42” fully hard bossed bull and a scrum cap bull are side by side which one they will take. I’ve had PHs tell me most decide to take the bigger trophy when there is an option.

To each their own. My only Bull was old, Hard Bossed, 42” and a challenge to hunt…

I wasn’t on a “Buffalo” hunt, but open to the possibility and it presented itself. We had to drive several hours and stay the night to hunt this solo Bull and it worked out… I was thrilled with the experience and outcome.

It wouldn’t have concerned me if he was smaller or in better/younger condition…

I’ve passed on bigger since this one…

View attachment 494727

I likely hunt more - when I retire and build a bigger trophy room!
Beautiful Buff!!!

Nothing wrong with wanting your Buffalo, or first few, to have both horns. Personally, I would like to hunt a scrum bull now that I have a couple on the wall. Future hunts will be for the fun of hunting them, so any old Buffalo will be fine.

I don’t think most will be so lucky to ever have the opportunity at a truly old scrum cap bull to worry about it .

That’s said a well done Steak is just Wrong!

TT, I think it’s totally valid to want an old bull with both horns. Once you have a few bulls under your belt you may want to go after one of the gnarly, broken down old dugga boys.

The dugga boy in my avatar would be perfect for you. Old, worn, massive bosses, and both horns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!