I have a mature bull buffalo question...

For me age and the hunt itself is more important than the actual horns.
I haven't hunted a bull for myself yet still short on funds but it must be hot I must be sweating and track him down. If at the end of the trail its a 49"or 36" bull and old with good hard boss broken horn or not I will try to take him down.

Scumcap I would shoot and pay for after shooting a proper trophy first which is defined above.
But if on a 7 day hunt and that scumcap is standing there on day 6 its fire away and a reason to hunt buffalo again.

agreed, mass is what trips my trigger.....and that comes with age.
tried to attach this the first time, my one and only, he had what I was looking for age , mass, and width...
241366933_10223187452769237_1698847442017548734_n.jpg

It is each persons dream hunt so it is up to them to decide what "Is MY Bull".

On my first buff It took 9 days and 125miles under my boots to put him down , was a old mature bull with a big boss and just under 40 inches.

My next bull I want to be the oldest and ugliest buff my PH and I can find, a scrum cap would be the dream but a worn down set of horns, completely gray face old warrior is acceptable. Willing to spend 14 days and walk farther than last time if that is what it takes.

Sometimes the choice is not whether the bull has xxx shape or zzz width but a question of taking the only mature bull that's presented a shot and it's the last day.
Or are you prepared to go home empty handed because your trophy ideal wasn't met and come back in future (or maybe never)?

In my opinion this is a more critical question for most buff hunters to get their head around when prepping for their first hunt, rather than configuring their perfect trophy.

Obviously very different for a veteran of numerous buffalo hunts.

Sometimes the choice is not whether the bull has xxx shape or zzz width but a question of taking the only mature bull that's presented a shot and it's the last day.
Or are you prepared to go home empty handed because your trophy ideal wasn't met and come back in future (or maybe never)?

In my opinion this is a more critical question for most buff hunters to get their head around when prepping for their first hunt, rather than configuring their perfect trophy.

Obviously very different for a veteran of numerous buffalo hunts.

I don't believe the OP was referring to xxx shape or zzz width bulls, but hunting a mature bull with both horns, no broken horns, scrum cap, etc. I believe the OP has a valid point, and it should be up to the PH to get him close enough for the OP (shooter) to close the deal. I don't believe this is an out of this world request. :unsure::unsure:

So all 4 buffalo stand together. I’m really curious who stands by decision on scrum cap bull. Bulls 1-3 fit every definition of a perfect buffalo to me.
I would be very happy with any of those, they have all clearly lived large.

A old Buffalo without horns is like an old bull elephant without large tusks: they lack an essential essence.

if you doubt this, as yourself how many scrum cap Buffalo or tuskless elephant you have looked at (either in person or in a book) and whispered “holy shit.”

not many, I presume.

this is my .02c, but I certainly know what makes me stop and take a second look.

A old Buffalo without horns is like an old bull elephant without large tusks: they lack an essential essence.

if you doubt this, as yourself how many scrum cap Buffalo or tuskless elephant you have looked at (either in person or in a book) and whispered “holy shit.”

not many, I presume.

this is my .02c, but I certainly know what makes me stop and take a second look.
So, it is all in the eye of the beholder. Who doesn't want to kill the record book trophy? The thing is at some point, a switch flips and it is no longer about the biggest but the hardest to hunt.

The Sable I took was not the biggest, could have killed a bigger one much younger. The one I did kill had been giving our PH the slip multiple times with multiple hunters. Much more of a challenge, that's what I will remember when I look at the mount.

The word trophy means different things to different people and it can mean one thing to us today and something different in 10 years from now.

I agree with @Kevin Peacocke , however if they were side by side I would take them in the descending order Scrum cap, then 3 then 2 then 1. My toughest decision is which rifle I am taking with for the hunt.
It surely must be a double!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross