Hunting with a 7x64

The other is a Mannlicher-Schönauer made in the last year of production 1968, model GK I believe, full stock carbine with traditional claw mount and double set triggers.

MS Stoeger 1968.jpg

Stoeger, 1968 catalog

Others:

MS 1952 GK 01.jpg

MS DST 1957.jpg

MS GK 1960.jpg

MS Stoeger 1954 Carbines.jpg

MS Stoeger 1954 Features.jpg

7x64 is the bred and butter cartridge for the Austrian(mountain) hunter.
Red deer ,chamois,roebuck for all distances.

@clockwork_7mm_gator I have been accused of being a "Bad influence" here a few times. :A Stirring: That LGS still has that heym on the rack???
When all I am trying to do is help a guy out:A Whistle:

I have a nice Interarms 7x64 that I bought from another AH member that I am currently working up loads for.

@7x57Joe
Slightly off topic but had the chance to fire a 9.3x62 with that stock design but standard forend.
What a bitch of a thing.
Even holding it into the shoulder and a nice comfortable cheek weld the bastard of a thing came back and belted me straight up the chops. What a prick of a design.
Even my Whelen with good 310gn loads doesn't belt like that price.
Give me the Savage 110 stock any day.
Bob
lol I've got that exact rifle in 9.3x62. It's not too bad, but I wouldn't say its "fun" to shoot either.

I have a Brenneke, was passed down to me. I fucked with it some, great shooting rifle but too expensive to load for, IF and when I could find brass. It sits in the safe now. I'll take it to Africa if I ever get to go, well, just because that's where it looks like it belongs. I'm assuming you aren't in the US? You probably won't get much info on this forum. Most Brenneke's and their owners reside in central Europe.

@clockwork_7mm_gator I have been accused of being a "Bad influence" here a few times. :A Stirring: That LGS still has that heym on the rack???
When all I am trying to do is help a guy out:A Whistle:

I have a nice Interarms 7x64 that I bought from another AH member that I am currently working up loads for.
7x64.jpg

7x57Joe, umm... The Brno model 21/22 rifles have been considered a "classic" for a long time in Canada, perhaps they will "never be" in the USA but we'll forgive the oversight. Less pressure to export good rifles to the USA, More good rifles for us ;-)

7x57Joe, umm... The Brno model 21/22 rifles have been considered a "classic" for a long time in Canada, perhaps they will "never be" in the USA but we'll forgive the oversight. Less pressure to export good rifles to the USA, More good rifles for us ;-)
I certainly didn't mean that Brnos weren't considered classics here in the U.S. but, I think my wording may not have been clear. Instead of saying, the Brno would "ever" be a classic, I should have said the Brno would "forever" be a classic. Sorry for the confusion. :E Blush:

OOPs! Ha! that's funny and obviously my reading skills need improvement. Your meaning was clear if I could read correctly, and I agree with you that the Brno rifles will forever be a classic. Cheers!

To all the members that have and use the 7x64:

I currently use the RWS KegelSpitz (KS) with 165 grain bullets. Would you be able to recommend another factory ammo that is a bit tougher and less explosive, while keeping the high bullet weight for penetration?

I’m trying to upgun the 7x64 a bit, so it can be more reliable for bigger tougher game as well.

Thanks!

I currently use the RWS KegelSpitz (KS) with 165 grain bullets. Would you be able to recommend another factory ammo that is a bit tougher and less explosive, while keeping the high bullet weight for penetration?

I’m trying to upgun the 7x64 a bit, so it can be more reliable for bigger tougher game as well.

Thanks!
Have a look at Geco, TM, Plus , shoot good and cost effective. Plus is Bonded . Also some leadfree they have , or Brenneke.

I possess a Voere made in Kufstein (Austria) in 7x64. It wears a Swarowski Z6i 1,7-10 x 42.
It shoots very well, shortening the life of several roes, a few fallow hinds and one boar.
However, the 7 mm Rem. Mag. is slightly better at the long range and I preferred it in the last years.
Is anybody interested in the Voere?

Vertigo BE, I also suggest you look at the RWS 7X64 EVOLUTION 10,3G load. I've used that model of RWS bullet successfully in the 30R Blaser and found that the EVO bonded bullet penetrates very well with controlled expansion. For example, I have shot right though a bull moose and had a quick kill.

Thanks!
I have had great experiences with Norma Oryx. Keep together and deep penetration. For the 7x64 there are two weights, 156 and 170 grain. Perhaps try the 170grain.
All the best and good luck.

Thank you @PerH , @Hunting Sailor and @Piet Brood,

This was the result of an eland quartering away shot:
Image1669228749.666289.jpg

One shot, found inside the heart. It did its job, but just a bit more bone or flesh, and I would still be on the lookout for that eland.

I’ll be trying the Norma Oryx next.

Brenneke TOG also one to look at, Torpedo Optimal Geschoss ,bonded thick jacke, resembles the legendary Starkmantel a bit .

Evo is quite comparable to TOG also.

My 7x64 on an ARC Mausingfield, 26" 1:8.2" twist barrel, McMillan Game Warden Stock and AIC bottom metal for a detachable mags. Pictured wearing a Meopta 6-24x56 ZD for range work (usually use a 180gr ELD-M or a 185gr Nosler RDF for that)

Was shooting it today in fact. Put an 8x56 Docter on it for hunting and checked zero with 156gr Norma Oryx factor and handloaded 139gr Hornady GMX. When hunting has a Lawrence Precision titanium moderator / suppressor. (Also have a really good 160gr Sierra SBT load for it)

Yet to blood it as got just before Covid and kept set up for range games.

1669238552084.jpeg

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.