Hunting wild pig in San Diego county

Zack Young

AH member
Reaction score
Okay so I've been told that there is good pig hunting between Escondido and Ramona past the Safari park in the canyon near Cleveland National Forrest (any further information on this would be welcome) But my question is this. What information can anyone give me about hunting wild pig (avg. weight 70lb). do they stick to river beds or hill sides? Brush or open areas? I have a semi-auto .308 (iron sites) and a bolt action 8mm Mauser (3-7x scope) which is more appropriate?

Hi Zack Young,

I have hunted pigs in California but, not that far south.
Perhaps 40 years ago, I had taken a few feral and Russian/feral mix hogs, in both Colusa and Lake Counties (N/W of Sacramento about 1.5 to 2 hour drive), two of these with a .44 revolver and factory open sights (S&W Model 29-2) and the rest with various caliber scoped rifles.
These were pretty much nocturnal animals that, only became active just before dark and then disappeared again, into the thickest brush, and steepest canyons imaginable, remaining there throughout the daytime.

People with pig dogs reportedly did real well during daytime hours, by sending said doggies into the thick stuff to roust the hogs but, myself and my friends did not wish to risk our bird dogs on such formidable fighters as pigs can be.
I shot one that weighed probably, somewhere around 300 pounds live weight (from the butcher's estimate when I delivered the headless, gutless, skinless and hoof-less carcass, for sausage processing).
So anyway, we would sneak up on likely food or water sources, just at dawn, as well again as the sun was beginning to set.
In this way, we got some shooting now and then.

Personally, for spot and stalk type pig hunting, I would suggest your scoped 8mm but, only because in feeble twilight, a quality scope will help you to actually see your otherwise pretty much invisible target.
If hunting with hounds (or Airedales, or name your breed), I would go with the iron sighted .308, so as to more easily see "all the players" simultaneously, when there are screeching pigs and yapping dogs, flying in all directions (including straight up in the air sometimes - LOL).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Personally, for spot and stalk type pig hunting, I would suggest your scoped 8mm but, only because in feeble twilight, a quality scope will help you to actually see your otherwise pretty much invisible target.
If hunting with hounds (or Airedales, or name your breed), I would go with the iron sighted .308, so as to more easily see "all the players" simultaneously

+1 on this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!