Hunting in Kamtschatka and other parts of Russia

I know two people who have gone to Siberia after bears.

The first saw one bear in a two week period, and that from a long distance, with the bear promptly scarpering. A huge poaching problem. The whole trip was a complete waste of time and money. No refunds, of course.

The second was an ex-member of the Polish special forces. His take was the whole of Kamchatka is a military zone, run by the generals in charge. You were essentially putting yourself in a trap and reliant on some goodwill, which may or may not be present, not to be shaken down. He would not go again.

On the other hand, the great J. Alain Smith has been. Here he is after sheep, with an amusing sign advising of the correct way to use a lavatory at 3'28". And here he is after bear.

In August of 2023, a friend hunted Chechnya for Eastern Dagestan Tur. The normal go-to destination for the species is Azerbaijan. However, Azerbaijan did not open its hunting season as expected on June 1st. So, Russia became an option because the Caucasus Mountains that this specie of Tur inhabits extends into Russia and they can actually be hunted in a few different Russian Republics, including the Dagestan Republic directly north of the best hunting zones in Azerbaijan. The other Tur species are the Western or Kuban Tur, and the Mid-Caucasian Tur and they inhabit territory a bit further West. Anyway, he flew from Atlanta, USA to Istanbul and then to Min. Vody -- all on Turkish Airlines without issue. The outfitting company was Russian and proved to be very professional. Due to some unknowns regarding gun importation formalities at the border, the outfitter provided a modern band name rifle, premium scope, and factory ammo. What he found were very welcoming people at Immigration. The local guiding team expended significant effort. He's going back next year for the other two Tur, and he will be taking his own firearm unless an escalation of the conflict poses significant risk. So, a lot depends on the ground team and their relationships with authorities. But above all else, the local people just about anywhere in the world who are connected with tourism and hunting in particular are good welcoming people who appreciate the opportunity to host and make a living. Conditions can change, however, and it's prudent to stay on top of things and work with the right people.

I see this thread has just re opened. I always thought I might be able to fly over from Alaska to the Kamchatka Peninsula . Like 3 1/2 hours if I remember correctly. What an adventure! You know what Alaska is a great adventure too.Trying to “sneak” into Russia and hunt is just not worth it. My guess for the next 20 years.

Oh those lovely Chinese! My wife and I know a university educated Chinese school teacher from our 2016 trip to several parts of China and Tibet. Even she believed in the “traditional Chinese medicine” that is the cause of so much poaching. When I told her that rhino horn is just keratin, like fingernails, she had a hard time believing it. I jokingly mentioned that Chinese men should just chew their fingernails for an aphrodisiac!
I can verify that chewing fingernails doesn't work. I've seen more firmament in a sack of soup. Umm ... speaking for a friend.

I see this thread has just re opened. I always thought I might be able to fly over from Alaska to the Kamchatka Peninsula . Like 3 1/2 hours if I remember correctly. What an adventure! You know what Alaska is a great adventure too.Trying to “sneak” into Russia and hunt is just not worth it. My guess for the next 20 years.
Media has a huge role to play in getting people fearful to travel to Russia.

A friend hunted in Russia this summer for 2 bears and was successful. The hunt was originally booked before Covid and rebooked 3x I think. State Dept didn't advise his travel but he said it went ok. I think it was risky but it turned out ok.

Some of the Moose photos an Outfitter sent me that i am looking to book with.

IMG_6704.jpg
IMG_5734.jpg
Kamchatka-Moose-2018-IMG_20181117_144424-1.jpg
2018-DSC00252-1.jpg
Kamchatka-river-Moose.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The second was an ex-member of the Polish special forces. His take was the whole of Kamchatka is a military zone, run by the generals in charge. You were essentially putting yourself in a trap and reliant on some goodwill, which may or may not be present, not to be shaken down. He would not go again.
That's interesting. I wouldn't think Polish military vets would want to travel to Russia for anything. That would probably flag their system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg