How to reload a big game rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting Videos' started by stug, Jun 11, 2017.

1. charleslabounty

charleslabounty AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, IDPA, RTBA
    Hunted:
    US and now RSA
    I have shot my bolt action .22lr in a few local Steel Challenge matches.
    I bought a Ruger American 22 bolt action because it takes the 30 round magazines so I could shoot in the match. I use a low power scope.
    And I do this for the purpose of burning in muscle memory to reload and get back on target as fast as possible.
    I get some snickers and some "why" questions, so I explain, that I hunt with a BA and regular scope. I usually finish about in the middle overall.
    Semi-auto jams and center fire pistol misses at the longer shots help push me up in the scores. I just did the math on the last match I shot in and it works out to 1.2 seconds a plate. Fun fun fun.
    I know it is not the same as shooting a big gun as fast as I can, but I can not handle more that 3 quick shots with the -06, if that.

Royal27 likes this.

2. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    As you pointed out..practice , practice and more practice..that is the only way a hunter will operate his rifle under hunting conditions flawlessly...(y)

3. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Agree - practice practice practice!

The SEAL I quoted earlier in this thread told me a story about living somewhere that he couldn't shoot much and he was training for a contest with an M14.

He did almost all of his practice dryfire, and had his wife pull the bolt back quickly after each shot (how he talked her into that I have no idea). He won the contest and it was one of his highest scores ever.

Muscle memory!

4. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    That rotary mag with the controlled round feed is really a very cool combination....very nice indeed(y)(y)

5. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    unless of course you are one of those freaks of nature (like me) who shoot left but just can't get used to a lefty bolt. My wife is French and she refers to us as la race du diable (sp). The devils spawn literally translated

Royal27 likes this.

6. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    I know this discussion revolves around fast recycling of a dangerous game rifle bolt as well as accurate shot placement when hunting a dangerous game animal....in putting this scenario in perspective I was contemplating the following :
    With a PH as a back up on these hunts..do the hunter really needs to be competent with his rifle? The first shot will always be shot from a "safe position" where all factors are in favour of the hunter and PH who determined these factors.
    Is it still relevant for the hunter to be able to cycle and fast shooting his rifle as accurate as possible?(n)(n)

7. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    The client needs to be proficient with re-loading his rifle.(Many fail to even attempt reloading their rifle after the first shot! and only do so when prompted by the PH)) He also needs to have sorted out any issues that may be present with his rifle, loading, feeding, loose scope etc..Too many times I have seen clients arrive with a "New" rifle and they are not proficient with it due to lack of practice before hand or some issue arises with the rifle. Talk about a confidence dumper. Most important the client needs to make sure the first shot goes where it is intended to, then there is no need for high speed reloading!

The PH on the other hand needs to be 110% on his game when it gets to follow up, backup and re loading time.

Philip Glass likes this.

8. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Excellent, so this theme will be relevant every time you pick up a rifle to hunt, specifically to hunt Dangerous game...(y)(y)(y)

9. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Or short stroke issues could come to very well prepared lifetime hunters who were certain they're going to be eaten if they don't fire again?
    I did great on my lion and croc by staying in the scope and reloading and in the case of the croc emptying the gun on him perfectly. On The lion my muzzle brake was full of water and I could not see for the thankfully unneeded follow up. Those were both blind hunts. The leopard was a different story.
    But agreed...practice, practice,practice!
    Regards,
    Philip

Royal27 likes this.

10. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Philip, as you mentioned, keep shooting at a target like a crocodile seems all important to keep it anchored and not let it get to the water..that sure needs some fast accurate shooting and even flawless cycling of the bolt...:D(y)(y)

I did manage to zero my .458 Mannlicher Ghost ring ...I noticed the ghost ring ran out of adjustment and instead of making another longer dovetail post for the ghost ring I fitted a lower front bead..now it zero in the centre of the target at 25 meters and will definitely zero at 50 meters since I am shooting heavy cast bullets now..the .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer really is a sweet shooting rifle and handles extremely fast , it really is a pleasure to shoot this rifle...it really is remarkable that such a light rifle does not have a heavy recoil...(y)(y) I will do some bolt cycling practices tomorrow using the dummy rounds with dead primers, it will afford me the opportunity to get some trigger control practice as well...if I get the hang of it , I will upload a video ...:LOL:(y)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017

11. Ole Bally

Ole Bally AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/1000431559983236?view=permalink&id=1859278424098541
    This is how we teach it and here its done very well by a young PH!

12. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)