How much difference does 1/2 LOP make?

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Finishing up my 7mag build and I have 2 decelerators…1” and .5”. Both feel pretty good I believe I’m somewhere in between the two. I know I can sand down the 1” to 3/4. However, with heavy clothing during hunting season the .5 may be more practical. I notice on a downward angle(tree stand) with the 1” I have to push my head farther forward, not as much with the .5, I guess the only benefit to the 1” is the added recoil reduction. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two HS precision stocks I bought used but unbedded. One was 13.5” one was 14”. I sent them both back to make them 13.75” which is what every other rifle I have is. I like everything to feel as similar as possible on LOP.

I would go with the LOP that most closely replicates the LOP you will most likely use while hunting.

I don't worry much with recoil reduction. A 7mm Rem Magnum is not bad at all unless you rifle and scope weights less than 6 pounds, compared to to some of the monsters discussed on this forum.

If the .5" puts the trigger at 1/2 of the first joint of your index finger, I would go with that one.

When in doubt, I would go with the 1/2

Provided you plan on hunting with a jacket on: Ideally imo you set your eye relief and sight in with a recoil pad. When you hunt, you remove it. No more turkey necking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg