How is the hunt?

JLF

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I see in the hunting offer section, 10 days of hunting nine species ... I do not understand how this hunting is carried out ... if hunting a wild boar in stalking takes me at least 4 days ... I do not understand what technique is used to hunt nine species, which are mostly of different behavior in 10 days ... on top of the package there is a cougar ... Knowing the behavior of the cougar, or they have it tied ... And I say that with foundation, at the time when the puma hunting was not closed, I tried to hunt them in the foothills, and in the Argentine jujeña, I could never hunt one ...
The only one I could kill was in the field in La Pampa where I have been hunting for more than 8 years now, and I killed him because he appeared when he was hunting wild boar, that's why I say kill him, because he does not hunt him.

Last edited:
I see in the hunting offer section, 10 days of hunting nine species ... I do not understand how this hunting is carried out

You have stumbled upon the most common offers on plains game hunting in South Africa and Namibia.

The hunts can be in High fence (typical fo South Africa), or total free range, or low fence, or high fence - which is typical for Namibia. Hunting areas can be of various sizes (less then 1.000 hectares, or up to 20.000, 50.000 hectares or more)

Hunt is typically done that Ph (guide), tracker, and you will go in the 4wd car.
When you approach the area or see the animals from the car you will go stalking. Which can be successful, or not.
If, not, to be repeated.

Second most common way, is - you will be placed in a blind on a tree, over a waterhole.

You can hunt 1-1 (means 1 hunter - 1 PH) - more expensive
You can hunt 1 - 2 (menas 2 hunters - 1 PH) - more economic

So, you will have hunting areas rich with animals, with very good chance of success.
So you can plan 1 animal per day. Famous author Craig Boddington, suggests to plan 1.5 days per animal, for average PG hunt.

And you can have secondary options.
For examaple out of ten animals on package, maybe you dont get hartebeest, but you will have a chance at blesbok. So, you should be flexible in the expectation. And take additional 10-15% spare from budget if you have a chance at something else, out of package.

But I would say, you will have 99% of chance with reputable outfitter with that type of hunt.

Depending what animals around are most numerous and available in hunting area, outfitter will on occasion call this "beginners package", or "first timers African package" etc..

Now, when you evolve as african hunter, get more experience, knowledge and motivation, things are becoming not so easy.
For hunting leopard, there is no 100% chance for success.
Same for chitah.
Lord derby Eland
Bongo.
etc

So there are some species which will be hunted in different way, maybe over bait, some during the night, some by tracking, or in deifferent countries, and some by pure luck, and then it is not 100%.

Most of the international African hunters start with classic package in Namibia and South africa with 99% success rate, and when they get addicted, things become more complicated and more expensive, and less successful from time to time.

Last edited:
About hunting in Africa I cannot comment ... but about hunting in my country if ... Most animals can be "hunted" in time and form as they offer, but the cougar is impossible unless they are locked up and they release them to sacrifice them, what's more, in most of the Argentine territory the sport hunting of the puma is prohibited ... like that of the corzuela or guazuncho.
Very grateful for your response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!