Help decipher an old ledger

matt85

AH legend
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
3,657
Reaction score
4,894
Location
WA, USA
Media
30
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I recently purchased an antique rifle and one of the things provided by the seller was a picture of the original ledger from 1895. While some of it is clear, there are bits I can't understand. So, my hope is that you all might help me figure out a bit more about this rifle!

It appears to give the regulating load, but I can't make out exactly what it says. Something along the lines of "10 drams Ro bullet". This could be referring to a round ball over 10 drams of powder, but that is a strange way to say it. Also, from what I've read, an 8 bore round ball was not considered suitable for elephant and the gun is specifically referred to as an elephant rifle.

I see the barrel length (24) and dolls head, as well as a recoil pad. I'm guessing the 50, 100, 150 is flip up sights.

Take a crack at reading this and tell me what you think.

The rifles serial number is 2982:
Original ledger.png


-Matt
 
Rifles of that period were being regulated with both Round and Conical balls. A few articles written talk about both, even on some other ledgers (Purdey).
I remember this rifle from AH previously. My bet would be it was regulated for Round ball as it may have produced the best groups. That said, a conical load should be able to be made and used.
 
 
Rifles of that period were being regulated with both Round and Conical balls. A few articles written talk about both, even on some other ledgers (Purdey).
I remember this rifle from AH previously. My bet would be it was regulated for Round ball as it may have produced the best groups. That said, a conical load should be able to be made and used.

That makes sense, "Ro bullet" could just be shorthand for "round bullet" which could mean a ball.

I'm thinking that that 10 drams RO is the type of Black Powder

This is also an option, but "10 drams Ro (powder) bullet" wouldn't make much sense.


That is indeed the rifle I bought! I'm expecting to take delivery of it in another week or so. Currently I'm working on putting together loading supplies in order to be able to shoot it.

-Matt
 
Enlarging the ledger the RO looks more like an RI which might mean Rifle Bullet as the 8 Bore was loaded with a Rifle Bullet, a Parodox Bullet or Ball
 
Here's an image from the H&H ledger calling for specifically a "conical" bullet in a 10 bore paradox gun. Not that it answers the question, but the nomenclature certainly doesn't make it appear it was a conical bullet in this 8 bores ledger.

Screenshot_20230919_063515_Chrome.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,342
Messages
1,573,419
Members
169,747
Latest member
nexttanebir1980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top