Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
Headed to hunt with Limpopo Big Game Safaris. I have narrowed my list to:

Night Hunting
Civet, Honey badger, Genet, Caracal, Serval, Jackal (probable should add spotted hyena but did not tell the guide to add, wondering how likely to see)

Day Time
Warthog, Duiker, Klipspringer, Lechwe (had Roan on the list but delegated due to space constraints in trophy room).

Sounds like fun to me but only in camp a week. I have other tinys and most other major South African trophies. I would not pass up a giant Kudu (60+) and they are there. I passed on a 58" on my last hunt. Anything I am missing. Lots of permits.

I will be very happy with 3 night critters and 2 day critters. Bossie doesn't sleep anyway so we are good to go!

Should I add the Roan or hyena, my budget is stretched? I am settled on the animals listed. My advice has always been shoot what Africa gives you but this night hunting is different.

My wife doesn't care she just wants to spend a week at Leopard Hills in Sabi Sands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good list! Couple other possible night animals to hunt are aardwolf and African wildcat.

That’s an ambitious list! Good luck can’t wait to see the results. I would probably go with the roan but hyena may not be huntable in the near future so maybe the hyena. Tough call.

Wow that's a big list, I'm there half the year & its taken me years to get half those lol !

You may well see Brown Hyena but Spotted are a bit rare in Limpopo unless baited heavy where there are a few ranging, Serval also a bit tricky there, need lots of time for those permits now days, best to give lots of run up time & I think the permit cost doubled on the Hyenas both ?

Good luck, I'm back working in the NT on Buffalo for a few months this year .

Nice Klippy could take some time & if after them you may see MT Reedbuck in the same Hills/Mountains ?

Last edited:
It is a big list and I am hoping for a few animals from each. I know some are a long shot.

Awesome list, wishing you excellent luck!
Is bushpig an option? I've not hunted them, but really considering for my next hunt.

Shot bushpig on my last trip and it is what got me interested in night hunting Africa.

Bossie will take good care of you. Have fun!

3rd trip with Bossie. He always takes good care of us.

Enjoy your hunt.

What’s your weapon of choice for the night hunting? I am going to hunt in late May and plan to do some of the smaller ones on your list. Still debating what rifle I am going to take for that!

410 or 20 ga shotgun and 223 are usually the preferred weapons though I have shot tiny 10 with larger calibers. Taxidermist had a difficult time with repairs on full body mounts but they look great now. I am not taking my own rifles because of excursions with wife after the hunt. I am at the mercy of the PH.

With bushpig and larger creatures you can get away with bigger calibers. Some people shot solids from 375 H&H but if only hunting smaller night creatures then I would shot a more appropriate caliber. I want to inflict the most internal damage possible with a destroying the hide.

Last edited:
If you are going to hunt at night, try for spotted hyaena also, you never know what is going to show up.

Bossie seems to have a splendid reputation on these hard to get animal, wish you the best of luck !

If you are going to hunt at night, try for spotted hyaena also, you never know what is going to show up.

Bossie seems to have a splendid reputation on these hard to get animal, wish you the best of luck !
That is part of the reason I chose to go with Bossie again. I will consult Bossie and see if it is worth getting a hyena permit. I saw a Brown in Limpopo on my first trip but have not seen a spotted. If I don't get the permits, we will probably see lots of spotted hyenas, mongoose, and sharps. I am not really interested in wildcats because they look to much like our barn cat.

I have a brown :giggle:
IMG_0727.JPG

And I want a spotted :A Praying:

I'll be hoping for you that you do not get all of your animals, that way you will 'HAVE' to go back for another trip!! Seriously, I hope you have an awesome trip and enjoy this next adventure!! I saw my very first serval cat last week when hunting in Cameroon, until they figured out if they had quota it was out of sight!!

I think you have very good chance at honey badger, genet and jackal. Others will be harder and a little luck. Bushpig maybe while hunting over bait at night ???

Lechwe will be fairly easy in my experience (altho I have yet to kill one myself). I do love a good Klipie hunt especially if using a distress call to pull them up onto the top of the rock piles.

LBGS has a good track record. Enjoy!

No aardwolf in Limpopo and have shot Reedbuck.

Do you mean No permits right now as there are lots of Aardwolf in Limpopo & Bar Eared Fox, I see them some times in the early morning ?

A big Aardwolf is a cool animal !

EOFH8794 (2).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg