Hawk rifle bullet experience

LeftySixgun

AH veteran
Joined
May 11, 2026
Messages
234
Reaction score
279
Location
Alabama
Media
2
Member of
SCI, HHI
I have a sweetheart of a rifle, a No.1 RSI in 7x57. I plan to take it to Africa next year for my first trip. Im pretty well dead set on taking the old Hornady interlock 175gr RN. I like tradition and the 7x57 with a 175gr RN are very traditional in Africa. But I dont have many.
What are some of your experiences with Hawk Custom bullets? They make a 175gr RN and Im curious about them and plan to order some at some point.
Hows the accuracy
Have a they held up well on game?
How fast did you push the bullet?
What game did you take with the Hawk bullet?
What was the shot placement?
Thanks
 
On plains game, at moderate velocities and using their heavier jacket thickness you'll be more than pleased, imo. I've shot them and they work.
 
I have a sweetheart of a rifle, a No.1 RSI in 7x57. I plan to take it to Africa next year for my first trip. Im pretty well dead set on taking the old Hornady interlock 175gr RN. I like tradition and the 7x57 with a 175gr RN are very traditional in Africa. But I dont have many.
What are some of your experiences with Hawk Custom bullets? They make a 175gr RN and Im curious about them and plan to order some at some point.
Hows the accuracy
Have a they held up well on game?
How fast did you push the bullet?
What game did you take with the Hawk bullet?
What was the shot placement?
Thanks
@LeftySixgun
The old Hornady RNSP are a great bullet. I used them in Namibia on gemsbok in 250gn 35 cal and the were excellent.
No experience with Hawks but was interested because you can get them in various jacket thickness but they wouldn't export to Australia so I went with the tried and true Woodleigh.
Bob
 
I have only shot paper and reactive targets with Hawks. They are an old school cup and core and seem, from other reports on game, to perform just like you might expect a non-bonded bullet to. Good expansion and penetration with reasonable weight retention provided you match the bullet weight, velocity and jacket thickness to the game.

In my .400 Whelen they were reasonably accurate but not superstars. I could consistently get 3 around an inch with NorthForks where the Hawks were usually around 1.5". Plenty good enough for anything I would shoot 350+ grains at :)
 
The Hawk bullets arrived today. I sure hope they shoot well
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6860.jpeg
    IMG_6860.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
70,263
Messages
1,570,956
Members
169,204
Latest member
CaroleBraz
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top