AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB
Hunted
I recently purchased a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger. It is out to Hill Country Rifles to get a makeover before I begin shooting it. I got a great price on the rifle new and with the accurizing job will still have just about retail into the rifle. I have heard some good reports on the Hawk bullets and wondered if anybody here had any experience with them? I was thinking of using the 350 gr RN for Buff and the 250 gr FP with a soft .025 jacket for Leopard. Hunting with Touch Africa Safaris in May of 2011 and want to use this summer to get a good package together with this rifle.

I think I'd spend the extra bucks and get a premium buttet that has a proven track record like a Nosler or Woody. I have seen reports that Hawks don't go thru a milk jug of water. But others say they're great..

I wouldn't worry about the bullet; since you sent the rifle off to Hill Country they will work up a load recommendation for you that supports the accuracy work completed. You will get that data when they receive the rifle.

The Hawk bullet is a premium bullet. I have hit a bull Moose in the center of the chest and the 220gr out of my 300Win mag exited out the side of the left rear ham. It is enough for a buffalo out of the rifle he is using.

I use Hawk 300 gr round nose on a Bush pig , made a Texas Heart shot
it went all the way and lodged in the shoulder the nicest mush room you want to have I will post a picture. It was shot at about 100 yrds running away.

They are fine for deer and antelope, but they are plenty soft even with the thickest jackets and I have had a lot of bullet seperations with them in the 7x57, 338 Win. and 375 H&H..I am not fond of them for animals of large size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross