Has anyone had taxidermy done in a different country than you hunted in Africa?

Green Chile

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, 33 US states and counting
If I’m hunting in Zim or Botswana (or wherever), can the taxidermy be done in South Africa and then shipped to US? What about something that requires permits like leopard? I’m wondering if any of you have experience doing that? I was thinking specifically of using Life Form taxidermy in SA.

Not sure of the permitting but just about everything from Southern Africa will pass through RSA in route to the states. The mounting in RSA is not a problem.

If I’m hunting in Zim or Botswana (or wherever), can the taxidermy be done in South Africa and then shipped to US? What about something that requires permits like leopard? I’m wondering if any of you have experience doing that? I was thinking specifically of using Life Form taxidermy in SA.

Use Collette's taxidermy in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe if you're going to Zim. Its the best work I've seen in Zim and Vince Pegg, their GM, is a very helpful fellow. Their curios are outstanding as well, chairs, ottomans, rugs, campaign bars, etc.

I would never risk taxidermy to an intermediary nation between where you hunt and where you live. Everyone can point the finger at somebody else when it all goes pear shaped.

Best choices for a Zim hunt:

A.) Collettes does the work and delivers finished goods
B.) Andy Hunter does the dip-pack and you select a US taxidermist

Use Collette's taxidermy in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe if you're going to Zim. Its the best work I've seen in Zim and Vince Pegg, their GM, is a very helpful fellow. Their curios are outstanding as well, chairs, ottomans, rugs, campaign bars, etc.

I would never risk taxidermy to an intermediary nation between where you hunt and where you live. Everyone can point the finger at somebody else when it all goes pear shaped.

Thanks for that contact. I wasn't aware of their work. Always nice to have a reference. Would you consider them for a leopard full mount?

Thanks for that contact. I wasn't aware of their work. Always nice to have a reference. Would you consider them for a leopard full mount?

You might want to sent the cat to Phil Saucy in Montana. Folks say that he is the best cat guy.

If you want to check a few taxidermist here in the US here is a cat from Wellers Wildlife Studio in Tucson, AZ.

They do great work

FB_IMG_1686010472196.jpg

I used an RSA taxidermist for four tiny ten species and they did a great job. BUT shipping them stateside is a LONG way with A LOT of handling. So you risk broken bases and busted off ears and so forth. I saved about $3K in taxidermy bills, and my stateside taxidermist repaired the damage but it’s not worth it. I recommend having them done here.

Colletts Wildlife Artistry is Steve & Suzie Collett. Steve is a Zimbabwe native trained in the US. He has two shops, Bulawayo and Pretoria. He has actually relocated to Pretoria, but as stated, Vincent does an outstanding job with the Bulawayo shop. I have had work done in both and agree with Rookhawk’s assessment, they are excellent. Their leatherwork is some of the best.

I had our Namibian trophies dip and packed in Namibia and sent to Steve’s Pretoria shop with no issues. The Pretoria shop receives trophies from all over Southern Africa for mounting. If you are in the area, the shop is worth a visit.

On another note, their bull hide and teak directors chairs are the finest I have ever seen. I had two included in one of my shipments from Bulawayo. You could not find their equal at twice the price in the US.

For a full leopard, I’d let no one but Andy Hunter in Zim do the dip pack and the paperwork. There are many excellent US taxidermists to do your leopard. You save nothing getting a full body leopard done in Zim, sure it’s $2000 less than the USA, but the shipping is $4000 more. So you bought substandard work for more money in the end.

Good points. That's why I put it out here. I'm only going to do 1 leopard in my life and I might get it this year. I need to figure out who will do it at some point.

Reactions: WAB
Good points. That's why I put it out here. I'm only going to do 1 leopard in my life and I might get it this year. I need to figure out who will do it at some point.

I have seen very few full body mounts I cared for. Even the very best seem to have mixed results. I’ve actually come to the conclusion that I would flat skin a leopard.

That surprises me. I've seen some good ones but haven't made any decisions yet. I would say there's no middle ground really...I really like them or really don't. No kind of about it.

Reactions: WAB

It can be done. It is just much more paperwork and associated costs and the added transportation costs.

Fair enough. I can see using Life Form, etc if hunting in SA.

Does anyone have Andy's contact info. I will be heading to Zim for Leopard on Jan 6th and like the idea of getting the Taxidermy done here in the states.

Does anyone have Andy's contact info. I will be heading to Zim for Leopard on Jan 6th and like the idea of getting the Taxidermy done here in the states.

P.M. me and I’ll intro you via whatsapp. Andy is THE GUY for rare species dip pack out of Zimbabwe. If you aren’t doing Taxidermy at Collette’s in Bulawayo, he’s the guy to get green skins clean, fumigated, and shipped out promptly.

Message sent. For what it’s worth, after 14 trips to Zim: Andy Hunter for dip/pack, and Vince Pegg for taxidermy and curios in Bulawayo.

Above all else, never TCI. If you don’t believe me, stop by for cocktails and I’ll show you $10,000 in unpresentable work from their firm assuming I wouldn’t be back 14x and have a big mouth and a good camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!