Handloading tools that you actually use...

Forrest Halley

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
How many of you actually have and use what I call hand loading tools for loading a favorite cartridge? Perhaps it's a Lee Classic Loader Kit or a Lyman Ideal 310 or maybe even something older and more unique. What do you use? Do you have any tips or tricks for these type loaders?

Currently I load .357, .243 and .30-06 on the Lee Kits. I have a few other sets, but I don't use those calibers as often.

This evening I began to set up my Lyman Ideal 310 in .30-06, .375 H&H and .458 Lott in .458 WM dies. I really enjoyed getting to know these dies. They are impressive in their design and possibly innovative in that the user might be able to set the shoulder back if they so desired.

Of note is the fact that one can size .458 Lott on .458 Lyman Ideal dies, but one cannot effectively size Lott on a .458 Lee Kit. I got the idea to try this because it works for .38/.357. I will experiment with getting the seating dies adjusted tomorrow and see if the theory holds true all the way.

IMG_20210926_105213884~2.jpg

I had a little help setting up my dies this evening and I think I may have started the next generation of reloaders very early. He was very excited to help and highly entertained throughout the processes. There's much more hands on involvement than in watching the progressive press run at 1000 rds/hr. I think that's what really draws me to it.
IMG_20211002_200542446_HDR.jpg

Lyman 1200 DPS, 24 inch drop tube, and appropriate dies for calibers and tasks at hand..
The 1200 DPS has significantly speeded up loading and made it much more accurate too.

My helper has grown up and is well along in college now:
53028_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought my RCBS Rockchucker single stage press was “old school”! No need to go to the gym if you turn out a few rounds a day with that tool.
I had one once and lost it to flooding. The Pardner just isn't the same. I find the hand kits much more enjoyable. I use a small rubber mallet and its dead weight for much of the operations with the Lee so no workout there. The Ideal is just neck sizing so no drama there either so far.
Lyman 1200 DPS, 24 inch drop tube, and appropriate dies for calibers and tasks at hand..
The 1200 DPS has significantly speeded up loading and made it much more accurate too.

My helper has grown up and is well along in college now:
View attachment 428326
@crs it sounds like you're awfully high tech over there! Okay so I might use an RCBS powder drop when I do some calibers, but that's as high tech as I get on anything not progressive. I actually have two dipper scoops I use for my .243 loads. That yields 46.0 +/- .2 grains of H1000. I'll have to measure what the .458 kit dipper delivers and see if it works with my powders on hand.

My son gave me the Lyman 1200 for Christmas because he had one and liked it.

Now I fine it to be very accurate and a welcome tool when loading up near or above published data, which has common of late..

I started handloading 51 years ago with basic Lee loaders and used them for years along with a good powder scale, a hand priming tool and Lee case trimming tools. I switched to a used Rockchucker when I couldn't find Lee loaders for some calibers. Still have that original loader that I started with.

I originally started handloading with the .38 Special Lee kit with 158 LSWC and Bullseye.

Today I looked around and found a whole bunch more Lee kits than I remembered having. Two of interest are the .243 Win kit and the .458 WM kit. The .243 kit, which my late Uncle put together, has everything you need to keep it running forever. He used it for forty years before I got ahold of it and that's been a decade. The sheer size of everything inside the .458 kit amazes me. Had they just made the decapping chamber a hair deeper I'd be able to load the .458 Lott with it too.
IMG_20211003_122138566~2.jpg

I was able to actually fully reload some .458 Lott today and now the dies are fully setup. I really like the way they work and effort is pretty minimal unless you're trying to resurrect a screw up of some sort. They are also great rescue dies with a long throated sizing die and a deep insertion expander.
Since it's Sunday I'll let you in on some outright heresy: All but one of the cases pictured here are .416 Rem Mag that was necked up. Below you'll see the misfits. I had mixed results in necking up the .416's using Hornady dies and loading 400 grain bullets. Today I disassembled the problem children and fixed them with the ideal dies. All the cosmetic issues will fire form out now, but previously they were impossible to chamber at all.
IMG_20211003_120708377~2.jpg

I was highly impressed with the minimal effort required to seat and crimp. I can open and close the die with one hand only.
IMG_20211003_115434613.jpg

The absolute golden moment was priming. My Norma .458 Lott brass has the world's tightest primer pockets and hand priming is very difficult with an auto prime or even the lever on the single stage. Literally one hand required and a gentle squeeze got me where I needed to be and I can set the depth which is very exciting.
IMG_20211003_114203352.jpg

IMG_20211003_114247099~2.jpg

IMG_20211003_114247099.jpg
IMG_20211003_122111059~2.jpg
IMG_20211003_122121667~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started reloading 45 years ago using a Lee kit and a hydraulic decapper for the berdan primed 303 British. Slow and wet but made good ammo.
Now use a Lee O frame, C frame and the Lee hand press. Also use an old simplex turret press that only neck sizes. All see use even if some get limited use.
Bob

Bob was my older brothers name and he started with Lee, but I started with a Lyman rotary press. He tipped me off to the VV Ni33 powder and I still use it.

I have lots of favorites

A Prometheus powered scale
Giraud case trimmer
Amp case annealer

That's for my 6XC

The powder scale for everything else is an autotrickler V3.

Press I have yet to order but that will happen is a Heavy Präzipress 120mm

Another vote for the Lyman 310 for priming. I have squashed too many primers with the Rockchucker arm when the primer flips sideways as it is about to go from the arm to the pocket so anymore I use the 310 and absolutely no problem, no wasted primers.
There is a lot of mechanical advantage there and I definitely appreciate it for the magnum cases.

How many of you actually have and use what I call hand loading tools for loading a favorite cartridge? Perhaps it's a Lee Classic Loader Kit or a Lyman Ideal 310 or maybe even something older and more unique. What do you use? Do you have any tips or tricks for these type loaders?

Currently I load .357, .243 and .30-06 on the Lee Kits. I have a few other sets, but I don't use those calibers as often.

This evening I began to set up my Lyman Ideal 310 in .30-06, .375 H&H and .458 Lott in .458 WM dies. I really enjoyed getting to know these dies. They are impressive in their design and possibly innovative in that the user might be able to set the shoulder back if they so desired.

Of note is the fact that one can size .458 Lott on .458 Lyman Ideal dies, but one cannot effectively size Lott on a .458 Lee Kit. I got the idea to try this because it works for .38/.357. I will experiment with getting the seating dies adjusted tomorrow and see if the theory holds true all the way.

View attachment 428308
I had a little help setting up my dies this evening and I think I may have started the next generation of reloaders very early. He was very excited to help and highly entertained throughout the processes. There's much more hands on involvement than in watching the progressive press run at 1000 rds/hr. I think that's what really draws me to it.
View attachment 428307
Best little thing for me is the powder trickler

These I consider my extra essentials, some of which I use every time I reload. Even the inertial puller is handy for those occasions you seat a bullet a few thous too deep and have to re-set the seating die to the desired depth. Upper left clockwise- trickled with lead shot in bottom and leather base, Sinclair hand priming tool, Lee FCD, calipers, inertial puller.

Reloading extras.jpg

These I consider my extra essentials, some of which I use every time I reload. Even the inertial puller is handy for those occasions you seat a bullet a few thous too deep and have to re-set the seating die to the desired depth. Upper left clockwise- trickled with lead shot in bottom and leather base, Sinclair hand priming tool, Lee FCD, calipers, inertial puller.

View attachment 448438
Lead shot in the base of the trickler..follow this guy for more tips! That's a good idea.

Whenever I am on a flea market, I am looking for Lee Loaders....

DSC05055.JPG

But once, I fond this...

DSC05054.JPG
DSC05056.JPG
It is marked .30-06, and came without any papers.

It seems to be a reloading device.

Does anyone know, where it comes from and how it works?

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross