Hand Priming Tools

I use the priming tunes on my RCBS Rockchucker press. I’ve used the RCBS hand priming tool; it works but leaves marks on the primer. I’ve also used the RCBS APS primer strip tool. It works but I still prefer the tubes.

After throwing away the in-line primer feed tube of my Hornady press because of safety concerns, I find that I seldom seat primers with my press anymore because it is too slow - it would need to be one at a time. And the "feel" is not good either.
I have used the original Lee primer tools the most and actually wore two of them out after satisfactory service of many thousands of rounds. The new version Lee auto prime seems OK too and worth a look. I have a new Lee Auto prime but have hardly used it since I got my Forster tool. ( See following comment )
I have a couple of the RCBS hand primer tools, they seem kinda finicky and i don't like that the main ram cylinder falls out every time you tip them over.
I also have a Hornady hand priming tool. It works pretty good. But only with Hornady shell holders. Other shell holders don't fit.
And lastly and best, I recently bought a bench mounted Forster co - ax primer tool. I like it a lot. The tube feed unit gave me some concern at first, but I soon realized that primers are fed sideways, not in-line. If one happened to be ignited the rest would not likely go off. The shell holder is "universal" and after initial adjustment works fine. "Feel" and seating depth are very good and consistent. I think I found the one I'm sticking with for the rest of my hand loading adventures.

I use the RCBS universal hand primer - no issues but I haven't used anything else to compare to. I like that you don't have to swap out a shell holder for different cases.

Same here - RCBS Universal.

I liked the first one so much I bought a second. One for LR and one for small, to speed things up. Then I forgot I had the second one ordered....now I have three. :E Look Around:

Having three trays is really handy though.

For me hands down the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool. I use it on everything from .223 to 470 Nitro.
A48D1606-51D0-4541-B292-49070A92271A.jpeg

I own five Lee Hand Primers
I have different shell holders in each one and each one is dedicated to one primer size
I do the same, got two RCBS hand priming tools (not Universal) with different shell holders - one for 308 size case heads (using the shell holder for 6.5x55SE), and one for 404J.

Priming cases is one of the fastest sub-tasks involved with creating a loaded cartridge. Changing the shell holders for the RCBS hand tool takes a minute or so, so I picked up another one (used) cheap just to save me from the bother. I don't really understand the OP question about priming taking time - it takes about 3 seconds per case.

Not the RCBS or Lee. However you develop a feel for the pressure needed. Any variation throws up a red flag.

I dedicated this small Lyman single stage press to a universal Lyman priming die. This is not the ideal setup for volume but I like the "feel" when seating a primer and I think it is about as safe as you can get.

thumbnail_20210129_135128.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
... I don't really understand the OP question about priming taking time - it takes about 3 seconds per case.

When the tool is malfunctioning and primers double feed, tip and/or hang up in the tool (Frankfort Arsenal), when the tray does not feed primers into the tool (Lyman) THEN it takes a long time to get anything done. The FA unit is hopeless and I am now using the Lyman priming tool and single loading each primer into the tool. It is very slow. Looking for a tool that works as advertised. Grrrr.

When the tool is malfunctioning and primers double feed, tip and/or hang up in the tool (Frankfort Arsenal), when the tray does not feed primers into the tool (Lyman) THEN it takes a long time to get anything done. The FA unit is hopeless and I am now using the Lyman priming tool and single loading each primer into the tool. It is very slow. Looking for a tool that works as advertised. Grrrr.

I wish you could get the Lee. It is very reliable.

you develop a feel for the pressure needed. Any variation throws up a red flag.

I have a "feel" for the priming. The problem using the standard type ram with shell holder is that the primer hangs up on something and flips just as it's going into the pocket. the result is a smashed primer. So I prefer to be able to watch the primer going into the pocket.

There are a few old Lee priming tools on Ebay right now.

That open-to-view primer system looks dangerous to me.

BTW, in a lifetime of reloading I've had one primer go off while reloading. Fully enclosed, thankfully, and no injuries except to my hearing.

The RCBS Universal (and about any similar design with a clear lid on the primer feed tray), allows you to see the primer alignment. I have roughly 10k hand primed since switching to the Universal and I don't recall any going in sideways or upside down.

Gotcha. Then I have been lucky so far. Or chosen a product that works. Neither of those have happened to me - yet. Haven't been reloading that long, but I suspect a few thousand rounds at least.
Do any of those tools allow the user to watch the primer being inserted into the case?
Well, at least in the RCBS hand tool you can inspect that the primer is in the correct orientation. Start squeezing the handle so that the piston pushing up the primer clears the feeder from the tray. Then you can take a quick peek and see that it is correct before inserting a case into the shell holder. After that there is no watching of the seating action. This adds about a second of priming time.

I don't think there is room enough in the feeder/funnel from the tray to allow two primers to stack on top of each other.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.32.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.32.46 AM.png
    747 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.32.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.32.49 AM.png
    370.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.32.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.32.51 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.32.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.32.52 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
View attachment 386404
This is the one I use...seems to work well. I hand prime all of my reloads with it and never use the press
I use the RCBS universal hand primer - no issues but I haven't used anything else to compare to. I like that you don't have to swap out a shell holder for different cases.
I too have the RCBS primer. Worked fine until tried reloading my new 470 NE. Did not work. Just got the new Hornady one shown for my 470 and works great. Thanks everyone! First reloads using the IMR 4955 at 2077 FPS

I have a collection (accumulation?) of priming tools. Lee, RCBS, Forster, Lachmiller, Raiha are there. I have a Sinclair which is excellent but slow. The best of all is the 21stcentury, www.xxicsi.com. It is a pleasure to use and you can dial in your seating depth, which is important to competitive shooters more than hunters, but it does eliminate one variable if you are trying to work up an accurate load. The 21stcentury is $128.00 which sounds like alot but it's great and will last several lifetimes of use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.33.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.33.30 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.33.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.33.35 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
What do you use for a hand/manual priming tool?

I have both a Lyman EZ Prime and a Frankford Asrenal priming tool kit. Both of these are an absolute PITA to use, nd makes priming the slowest, most painful step in reloading. I get cocked primers that will not seat, double primers in the plunger channel. The Lyman tray will not let primers slide in the tool... I am at whit's end.

I do have the priming arm for my RCBS RC Supreme. but I never really liked loading the priming arm - too much primer handling.

Can anyone suggest a fully functional and relatively rapid manual priming tool???
Hornady hand primer works just fine, never had an issue with it.

After years of hearing about the Lee priming tool, I purchased the Lee Ergo priming tool. It has been nothing but trouble since Day 1. Failure to feed primers, jammed primers, you name it. Eventually heard that there was a revised primer tray which was supposed to be covered under warranty. After several phone calls and eventually moving up the chain to a supervisor, I managed to convince them to send one out. Still have problems with it. It's sitting in the corner of the reloading room and will probably end up as a target on a future range visit. The whole experience just soured me on Lee products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you