Gun show?

MPH

Reaction score
I've got some old guns I'm looking to sell. There is a gun show this weekend, but I've never sold anything there. Any thoughts/suggestions?

You can try on this forum as well.

I thought about it but none of them are "hunting" guns. Winchester 1887 from around 1892, Remington rolling block from around 1895, Win Model 12 nickel steel from 1923 and, of I can bring myself to do it, a Colt gallery gun. They're just sitting there, nice to have but the eye does wander... Looking at a couple others.

There's also Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, and GunsInternational. Plenty of reputable sellers on all three platforms. Avoid Armslist like the plague.

You might see if a local gun shop will sell for you on commission. Some do and you might ask if they can add yours to their lineup at a show. It's also worth checking out the clientele at your next gun show and what's being sold. If it's all polymer and aluminium and nylon, probably best to try either a commission or sell yourself online or wait until another show rolls around. If there's a lot of wood and blued steel and vintage stuff in there too, go for it.

As for not being "hunting" guns, I think some members of this site might differ in opinion. People still go hunting with replica Sharps rifles, rolling blocks, Winchester 1912s, vintage arms of all sorts. Just depends on what you're hunting and where. Plus some folks just always look out for something shiny whether it's for hunting or not. If you wanna try putting them up for sale on here, I don't think you'd have a problem finding new homes for your guns.

I think to sell something at a gun show, you as an individual will have to work through a dealer who has a booth at the show. They of course will want a commission, but they will also handle the FFL paperwork, etc.

Your Mod 87 should sell fast, even if in the less common 10ga version. They have become movie and video game icons.............guns are selling well now. If there was a local gunshow, I'd go early and start talking with a few smaller dealers, who may have low inventory....best of luck..............FWB

Reactions: MPH
I've been to gun shows where people just carry the a gun around with a dowl down the barrel and a sign taped to it.

I avoid Gunsamerica as well as Armslist.

Post them here! Many of us gun nuts buy more than hunting rifles ;)

Selling at a gun show is going to depend on your state and local laws.

Before even walking in with a firearm to sell I would contact the operator of the gun show and ask him what your responsibilities are when you are trying to sell a number of firearms.

I know that in some areas that if you want to sell more than a couple that they will require you to open a booth at a extra cost to you. Then there is the background checks if needed in your area.

Reactions: MPH
I have bought and sold at gun shows since the mid 80s and usually have a table for items to sell at our local gun show. Our area/state is fairly normal for regs. Sales of firearms need a background check during the process. DOM of 1898 is cutoff date for a gun to be considered a firearm. All muzzleloaders and any cartridge gun made before 1898 are not considered firearms under federal law. For our local shows, one of the local dealers acts as the transfer agent for the gun show transactions requiring such- a loss leader for them. Locally, background checks used to take maybe an hour or two... now 2-3 days. Usually a pretty straight forward process- just have to deal with the backlog caused by purposefully understaffed offices doing the checks- but that's another subject! The greatest complication comes for out of state buyers having to either come back after background check is done or arrange for item to be shipped. Restrictions on interstate sales of handguns is yet another bugger between certain jurisdictions and may be best to just avoid. AS has been posted- check with the gun show manager for details of regs. Most paperwork rules and regs are doable although at times a PITA.

Online sales and auctions can work very well including those done right here on this site. GunBroker is one of the common sites. A site like GunBroker has exposure to, by far, one of the largest markets. While a local gun show in a small town may have exposure to one of the smallest. I consider my local market fairly small. I can put a top condition antique Winchester up for sale on my table for a low price at our local gun show and get zero interest. Yet list that same gun on a large online site and have people fighting over it in a bidding war. :)

Last edited:
I be bought and sold at gunshows since the eighties what state are u in? For what u have a club or antique show would be best.a table at a rural show would work.here in fla certain city's may require an FFL .like Orlando Miami Jacksonville etc. Ocala and smaller no.going through an FFL is really no big deal.most charge a small transfer fee.more than 20$ is too much.ur best sales are before and after a show opens and closes. When dealers know ur one of them.walking through the show u get low balled. If u get a table and buy a gun walking around never put it back on the table the same day.that spells intent.the next day selling is fine.most states frown on pistol sales .

Thanks for the info gents. I didn't end up going to the gun show last week, and the Hunters Extravaganza was this week, way more important. I think I talked to every African hunting outfitter there.

I'm going to put a couple up here and see what happens. If no one is interested I'll post on GunBroker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross