Go Pro

eatmore-pbj

AH member
Joined
Feb 15, 2024
Messages
43
Reaction score
182
Media
15
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Has any one ever hunted a Go Pro video camera and is so how did it turn out and how did you do it?
 
I found them best for B roll footage of the hunt, to be included in additional footage. The zoom function on mine is not great but you do usually get a large field of view video. Even at 30 yds, I have found the animals are rather small in the frame. Used in combo with another small camcorder or better camera, they can produce another perspective.
 
As noted it is "not a feature film" but a good reminder of the stalks from your own perspective.
Head gear on a few stalks.
You have to be motivated to know the equipment, charge it and wear it and then down load the video.
It starts to feel like work.
 
You can also look at tactacam, it will attach to your barrel. (Use the rubber). It has an 8X zoom. Shotkam is another one to look at. It is another option to look at.
 
I took it for buffalo hunt last year, and found it not usable. Too large field of view for me.
Finally I kept it in my bag for the duration of the hunt.
Actual footage of buffalo hunt we made by mobile phone, as it makes much easier zoom options for the person using it. If I am on the rifle, I cannot think about camera on my head. So, hunting buddy can do the filming much better.
 
I used Gopro with mount around my neck. With remote control on my right wrist. It was nice with a filed view. I can take picture from the video.
 
Go Pro's have no zoom capability. If you're above a deer or a pig that is close (within 20 feet), you'll get a good view. If you're further than that, you'll start to lose the clarity. anything more than that, and you will have some problems with getting a good picture.
 
I used one to film my cow buffalo & lioness hunts. On the buffalo, one of the trackers filmed while we close in on the buffalo. On the lioness, the second PH took the camera and filmed the hunt. The videos are great with great resolution and clarity. However, you couldn't see the animal hunted, but like others have posted, it recorded the stalk. Mine doesn't have a zoom, but it was extremely stable while we were walking. The tracker who never did this before, did an amazing jog keeping the PH and I in the frame. I'm hunting buffalo this year, and planning on taking it again.
 
I used one on a head band to film my last elephant hunt. It was pretty cool. I would do it again.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,346
Messages
1,573,628
Members
169,774
Latest member
AlisiaStei
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top