Glasses - Using your Binos and your Scope

LLTHB

Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, USA - Alabama, Louisiana
Hi to all.

I use multi-focal glasses for normal day to day wear, cannot get a good pair of contacts.

How does this affect rifle scope use.

In the bush I am a glasses off, bino's up, bino's down, glasses on, stalk some more and glasses off, bino's up, bino's down, glasses on, stalk some more etc etc.

Now for shooting, what is best? Trying to get contacts to work?

Any thoughts.

I am also multi focal glasses user. What I do for shooting is to use a set of glasses set for long sighted. And us them with rifle scope and binds.

I have progressive lenses and I had a rough time trying to shoot with a scope and irons were nearly impossible to use. I found an eye Dr. that was also a shooter, I explained the troubles I was having and he adjusted my prescription to allow me to shoot very effectively with a scope and irons are now much easier to use. I still don't normally wear my glasses when I am glassing but I can if desired.

I have progressive lenses, high index (about -6, -7), and keep them on whether I'm using the scope or the binos. Frankly, until this thread, I'd never even given this issue any thought! And now that I've responded, I'm going to continue to forget about this lest I cause myself some problems.

I use glasses for distance vision for hunting. Simply leave them on for everything but looking at your watch. Binos and scope work fine (adjust paralex on the scope and screw the eyepieces on the scope so they are flush with the lenses.). Forget the open sights.

Talk to your optometrist and see what he suggest.

While I am just in the bifocal age I got a pair of glasses just for distance vision when I am hunting and that way works quite fine even when using my scope. And I am like you with taking the glasses on and off to look through the bino's. I tried adjusting the eye cups on the binoculars so that I could use the binoculars without removing them but all that succeeded in doing was to scratch up my glasses.

I have progressive glasses but pull them off when looking through my scope.

I wear multi focus no line Bi Focals, Iv'e tried every combination available,I can't wear Contacts(just don't like them altho they work good for shooting, I also have a single vision shooting glass which are fine until I need to look at something up close, two sets of glasses for hunting or range work, no thanks, so I use my no line Bi Focals for everything

I didn't notice any difference using binos or a rifle scope when I started wearing progressives. The focus on the scope is adjusted so that I can see fine with glasses on.

I've used binos with glasses on my whole life. Turn the eyecup to the glasses position and that's that. As far as I know, one should keep looking at the object of interest while lifting the binos into position, essentially inserting the binocular between the eyes and the target, never losing visual contact. If I were to take my glasses off before using the binocular, I would certainly lose sight of the target. Then I'd be searching around with the binocular to find whatever I was interested in. That isn't efficient and isn't how I learned to use a binocular.

I use Swarovski optics. What kind of binos or scope doesn't work with glasses?

I wear progressive trifocals and contacts. For glassing and rifle shooting I take my glasses off. I wear contacts when bird hunting. I have bad astigmatism and learned by accident two years ago that I shoot better through a scope without my glasses.

I have bifocal glasses as my vision has lessened after about age 50, but distance is still clear enough that I rarely wear the glasses unless reading- however, to the point, a friend of mine has contact lenses with one lens ground for close and the other for distance. He is right eye dominant so shoots using his right eye; the contact lens for his right eye is the one ground for distance, so he has no issues when looking through binocs or scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atax300

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.