Getting a FFL

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
We are looking at opening a sort of general store/trading post. We are playing with the idea of selling guns out of the store. I used to have an FFL, but life got busy and I let it expire.
So looking for some information, for those of you that have inside knowledge. Is an FFL harder to obtain these days, how long does it take? Any pointers you can give me?

Thanks

I’m in California so I had to get a COE as well. It’s very easy. Must have a business license for the ffl 07 as per their rules. Once this is done it’s just fill out the application and? What ever your state, city rules apply. It’s very straight forward.
I use it to buy ammo at wholesale and have it delivered to the house!!! Just make sure you renew early, and be nice to the ATF, they will inspect all your inventory and paperwork.

if your going to background checks via computer you have to take a course in that before you get setup.
All I can say is go for it. Took me about three weeks to get my ffl

I have a friend who has an manufacturer license and is operated from his home. The ATF regularly inspects his house and is not happy that it’s not in a store front. But they keep renewing his license.

The idea of having to allow ATF access to my premises whenever the mood strikes them has always been the big turn off for me. No thanks.
My FFL guy just renewed for probably the last time as he is over 80 now. ATF dicked around and didnt get it done on time, so they had to issue a letter for him so he could stay in business so either they are swamped or dragging their feet whenever possible.

I let mine expire a few years ago also. (I have a brick and mortar retail business, but it is not a "gun store")

We only used it for special orders, and it made always made my business partner a little nervous.

IMO, if your are not running a "real" gun store, I wouldn't bother.

You make hardly anything on guns that you have to get from distributors, and unless you do large volume, manufacturers won't sell dealer-direct.

If you are going to be "all-in" with firearms and. more importantly, accessories, then go for it!

My local ATF agent was great. Others, could make you life miserable.

Thanks for your replies. We kind of envision a pawn shop-second hand- antique look. We won’t take pawn but that look.

That said it will be mostly used guns and the type most of us like on this site. Nice guns. It might turn into more but probably more of a draw to get people in the door to sell them “stuff “ that has a better profit margin.

As the news people say “what say you”. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg