Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
England, Hungary, United States, Scotland, Namibia, Argentina
Hi all - We are contemplating getting a French Brittany out of one of the field kennels. We just lost our Drahthaar, Gus, after 14 great years. I know the dogs are different in every way, and would thus appreciate some advice from any members who have Brittany dogs / Epagneul Bretton. I’ve hunted over Brittanies on Georgia quail plantations, and liked the size and temperament of the dog. We would use the Brittany for upland, some ducks, and bring him along big-game hunting, especially deer. The dog has to be able to exist in the city, country, beach environments. I don’t want a dog that has hyper energy. He’d get his PT each day, and be trained, for an hour or more, but I’ve heard from some dog men that the breed is slower to mature, and might not have the on/off switch of Drahts. Any guidance is appreciated. With thanks . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never owned one but I’ve hunted over my uncles Brittany’s. They are the perfect size for a house companion. All of his were affectionate and playful. Not too high energy. The key is exercise…lots. They were all good hunters. I liked them all.

Thanks, Doug. Appreciate the note.

I hunted over a really nice French Brittany a couple years ago. She was owned by the editor of Pheasants Forever magazine. Our day started about 9 a.m.and was 0’F with snow on the ground. We took about 2 hours over lunch, and then hunted until sunset around 4:30.

There is a gentleman I met through my NAVHDA Chapter who breeds and trains French Britts. His dogs are good from my limited experience (not trying to push his kennel, just share info).

The best place to get info would be the breed club or a reputable breeder.

Not to turn off the French Brit but if you have a chance hunt over a Pudlepointer. They are very family oriented, they will hunt until they perish, they turn on and off like a light switch. Of all the dogs I have had, American Brittney, GSP and numerous Labs my current Pudelpointer is by far the smartest, sweetest and hardest hunter I have owned.

My brother has a male French Britt. High energy dog and he needs to be run for miles every day or he will be a pest at home. As long as he gets his exercise he's very relaxed when you want him to be. Can be stubborn. The best training tool has been a shock collar. Used properly while training the dog it has allowed him to become a fantastic bird dog, squirrel dog, and waterfowl dog. Rarely ever needs correction with the collar now. Very smart and a jack of all trades. He's still young (I think 3 now maybe?) Small enough to ride in our small airplane without taking up too much space or weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross