Forget Cape Buffalo when we have these monsters at home

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada

For those of you that may be dreaming of your first (or next) cape Buffalo hunt, have you ever hunted one of the North American Bison?

This is a bucket list hunt of mine in Canada however apparently drawing a tag is quite the challenge.

Have you ever successfully hunted a bison? How did it go?

Last edited:
Father in law got one last year. Very few wild bison hunted, most are estate hunts. Meat is actually terrible. Tough as nails so everything is ground . Tastes nothing like bison from the store

Father in law got one last year. Very few wild bison hunted, most are estate hunts. Meat is actually terrible. Tough as nails so everything is ground . Tastes nothing like bison from the store
Interesting. I've recently started buying bison meat from a local farm and love the stuff, especially the tomahawk steaks.

I'm guessing the wild game is far leaner than farm raised?

Your farm raised bison is just like cattle, they don't have to work to keep alive.

My brother in law shot one in Utah's Henry Mountains, a true wild hunt-able bison herd. The one that he shot wasn't bad eating, he was a 4 year old bull.

Your farm raised bison is just like cattle, they don't have to work to keep alive.

My brother in law shot one in Utah's Henry Mountains, a true wild hunt-able bison herd. The one that he shot wasn't bad eating, he was a 4 year old bull.
Shot a 3 yo bull in Nebraska in December '23. Best meat I have eaten. My family agrees. As soon as I put it down my guide bled it out. Key is ear shot. They don't get hyped on adrenaline, just fall over. have about 275 lbs of meat. Using sous vide and then reverse sear, cooked to 135 degrees. When i build my new grill then its outside. Do not cook it like beef, you will ruin it. I wrote a hunt report.

Shot a 3 yo bull in Nebraska in December '23. Best meat I have eaten. My family agrees. As soon as I put it down my guide bled it out. Key is ear shot. They don't get hyped on adrenaline, just fall over. have about 275 lbs of meat. Using sous vide and then reverse sear, cooked to 135 degrees. When i build my new grill then its outside. Do not cook it like beef, you will ruin it. I wrote a hunt report.
I'm guessing you ended up splitting up the meat? How much meat was there total?

To be fair, it was the 3yrs old that was one of the main things in making it good eating, the head shot helped I'm sure !

It annoys me that it annoys my hunters that we don't eat our 10-14yr Old Sexally mature Water Buffalo & Bantang Bulls (Bantang are tasty at 18 months) just adds too much work when I'm the only one doing all the work & we are out in the Jungle, not in a farming environment with 10-15 workers & processing facility, plus it is rubbish & tougher than Wood !

I went to South Dakota in December of 2021 for a bison hunt. Had a blast. We were on a 20,000 acre property. Killed my bull on the second day. My buddy killed one on the first day. If it’s on you bucket list then you need to get it done. I used a 45/70. Was hoping for a 100 yd or less shot. Things didn’t go as planned believe it or not and ended up with a first shot of 150 yds. He is was about 16 yrs old. These are raised straight on prairie grass. The burger is phenomenal. The rest of the cuts are ok at best. I will choose a beef ribeye over bison any day. Came home with over 700 lbs of meat. I have his skull and a full rug on the wall.
I will s
be adding a cape buffalo to the room in a couple years.

I’ve taken several of them both bulls and cows at all different ages. Older bulls are tough, younger bulls and cows are better eating. I’ve used .458 Wm, .58 cal black powder, .45/70, 9,3x62, 8mm-06, .50 cal black powder and a couple others that slip my mind. All one shot and done.

For those of you that may be dreaming of your first (or next) cape Buffalo hunt, have you ever hunted one of the North American Bison?

This is a bucket list hunt of mine in Canada however apparently drawing a tag is quite the challenge.

Have you ever successfully hunted a bison? How did it go?
I haven't killed a bison, but I have been around quite a few of them. Generally they act like domestic cattle, just bigger. Mostly they will come in to feed and ignore you the rest of the time. One cow in a small herd that I was helping with was vicious and would charge any human coming into their 20 acre enclosure. She put me over the wooden cattle shoot fence twice before she slammed into it. First the friend with the bison wanted me to shoot her, but then being an animal lover, changed her.mind. They can also jump a seven foot fence. Eventually the bison escaped and were all killed on neighboring ranches. I don't much like killing domestic animals usually, but I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to kill and eat that bitch.

The article was odd, stating that the biggest bison ever was. "caught" in Montana. Makes me wonder how you can catch one. They don't usually take bait and fishing tackle, and I don't think trying to lasso one would be a good idea. Then they say they don't know what hunter caught it. Of course, they go on to say that hunting is a significant threat to the survival of the species. Really?

I’ve taken several of them both bulls and cows at all different ages. Older bulls are tough, younger bulls and cows are better eating. I’ve used .458 Wm, .58 cal black powder, .45/70, 9,3x62, 8mm-06, .50 cal black powder and a couple others that slip my mind. All one shot and done.
Not exactly.like cape buffalo are they?

Not exactly.like cape buffalo are they?
Oh if you get a cranky one they can ruin your day but for the most part they just kind of mill around or take off to who knows where. Much easier to deal with than pissed off water buffalo or fire Breathing Cape buffalo. Just never forget they’re capable of stomping us into a steaming pile of used to be.

Oh if you get a cranky one they can ruin your day but for the most part they just kind of mill around or take off to who knows where. Much easier to deal with than pissed off water buffalo or fire Breathing Cape buffalo. Just never forget they’re capable of stomping us into a steaming pile of used to be.
You got that right. They kill.more people in Yellowstone than grizzlies do. Of course, it's usually the result of dumb tourists playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.

I'm guessing you ended up splitting up the meat? How much meat was there total?
Probably about 350. Gave some to family and a friend. decided to put the brakes on though. I have roasts and lots of steaks. About 60 lbs of ground. More interested in steaks and roasts.

learned something about Bison over my three day stay. They go crazy over the smell of blood. Might stampede and then gore each other as they run in which ever direction they chose. They have a personal space of about 50,yards. They are aware of people wherever they are residing. Their tail will go up halfway if they are annoyed with you, if you get closer it goes straight up, hair on the tip may curl like a question mark. They have then decided to flatten you. They seem placid because they must know they are big and "ain't skeered" . Also tail goes up halfway if they have to poop. I can't out run them either!

Ticked this off my bucket list last fall, not a free range wild buffalo, but still a fun hunt and exceeded my expectations*
Told the ranch owner my expectations was to walk through the barn into a paddock and shoot one, anything above that was gravy.
I was up first to shoot, we got close to the herd, picked out my buff and had a perfect broadside shot, she looked straight ahead giving the even better shot, and right behind the ear for a dead right there tracking job.
1680261711207.png

We went for a cow buff hunt, bit cheaper and not sure my walls would support a full shoulder mount of a bull

227A9357-E8AA-481F-AF5A-DC0CF3867486.jpeg

My buddy shot this younger male buffalo in South Dakota about four years ago. The meat was good but a little tougher than corn-fed cattle.

He recommends bringing a very big rifle with adequate ammunition. He had a difficult time bringing this buffalo down permanently. After the first shot, the bull took off and tore down a few low level barbed wire fences. Best of luck with your hunt, TheGrayRider.

I will say they are a deceiving animal, here are 2 pictures of the same animal, poor picture in the first, the herd was literally 100 yards away and we were being very watchful as they didn't seem to care for us much
1680266874361.png

And then hanging up being skinned and ready for the cooler
1680266913274.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross