For Sale Beautiful & Rare Pre-WWI Holland & Holland .375 H&H Magnum Takedown Magnum Square Bridge Mauser

Good question. This uses Holland's most prominent style of takedown system. Some call it a take-apart.

1. It has a large captive screw in front of the magazine in the bottom metal that can be loosened with something like a coin or screw driver.
2. Then the barreled action tilts out of the stock while the bottom metal stays captive within the stock.
3. The rear tang is machined such that the portion with the action mates up to a corresponding section that is captive in the buttstock along with the bottom metal. This holds the action securely to the stock from the rear when assembled.

The whole operation is very simple and easy and no special tool is required other than a slender coin or screw driver (if available).

Many hunters preferred this type of takedown, accuracy-wise, as the barrel stays properly torqued and headspaced to the receiver as opposed to a screw apart where the barrel is removed from the receiver when taken down.

I will try to show some pics to illustrate:

Large captive coin slot screw that is loosened:
View attachment 599202

Rear tang section machined to mate to corresponding piece captive in the buttstock when the barreled action is tilted out:
View attachment 599200View attachment 599201

Voila! Taken down for storage or transport. Nice and neat:
View attachment 599199
Very slick indeed. I like that a lot.

Thank you for all the comments. This one is a truly special rifle. Hard to let it go but it is time for it to go to a new caretaker. Please send me a PM with any questions if I can help.

They are special, I also have the 375 in the " take down" model but from the late 1940s I believe

IMG_0561.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ also Certus, Cut the barrel down to 22” and grind down the magazine release down . To reduce errant magazine releases
Thread the muzzle too, that 375 is a MAGNUM so it kicks!

Sorry for the detail. That rifle for sale is the perfect 375 H&H IMO. Pretty much can’t be beat and any other .375 just isn’t the same..

Edit: just realised it has no standing rear sight - my Certus is the same - what’s the purpose of this?

Which is better a the way around. Rigby or H&H
If similarly built
I think these H&H rifles were nicer than the Rigby bolt actions . Surprisingly based on old catalogues the Rigby magazine rifles were much more expensive than the H&H which in turn were a lot dearer than the Westley Richards rifles . Personally I’d be happy with any of them but this H&H 375 magnum is a stunner .

Which is better a the way around. Rigby or H&H
If similarly built
pre-war rigbys were not offered in 375 h&h this pic of mine is a rebore by Paul Roberts in the 80,s of a early 350 magnum as far as one being better than the other holland like westley put a lot of time in there bolt rifles as there actions/barrels were not supplied by Oberndorf ready to go they had to use military reworked action , ive seen more hollands with Oberndorf action than westleys ,as they both were able to get actions out of Oberndorf in the late teens /20,s I believe , many hollands would use an after market bottom metal sometimes made of alloy to hold 4 cartridges , a lot of these actions were not magnum length as its not needed for the 375 , rigby on the other hand put the 350 in a magnum action from the start , holland all used there side mount and rear bridge scope mount which wasn't easy to do , rigby used there rear square bridge and the flat in front of the ring to add there patent scope mount not sure if the rigby setup came out of Germany ready to go but I know the holland had to be custom made which adds a lot of time . tho im partial to rigbys I know a lot more handwork went into hollands and westleys back then

I agree that the prewar Hollands were a finished a little nicer than than prewar Rigby’s overall. This particular Holland is finished at a bit higher level than most with the horn forend tip and little touches like engraved screw heads. These features were not common. I believe that most (if not all) of the Holland’s with the alloy bottom metal were made post WWII. Most of the vintage 375s you will see are ~1950s through 1970s examples.

Vette447,
Beautiful Holland magazine rifle. The only thing cooler would be a 600 Jeffrey with a period correct Jeffrey oak and leather case with a Calcutta address :):):).

EJ

Bump for the weekend. Does someone out there need an amazing pre-WWI Holland & Holland 375?

That is very similar to the takedown system that Newton used for his rifles. It works very well.

Bump for the weekend. Does someone out there need an amazing pre-WWI Holland & Holland 375?
Sorry for the weird emojis above. Evidently they don't translate directly from an iPhone emojis. It was supposed to be a "smiley face" :LOL:

I wish I could afford the stuff you are selling,....just want to compliment your taste, you are clearly a guy that knows and understand high level firearms. Props to you my friend

Beautiful rifle sir!

Wow, I really need to find time to look into such fine bolt rifles. 375 such as this or lower end .40 like 416 Rigby or 404 Jeffrey;)

What a nice 375!,i had a similar single square bridge one but the screw off barrel version,made in 1913. Heres a pic of one i have now ,made in 1922, slightly leaner then the 1950,s types that have the alloy bits.ps sorry about the others in pic,couldnt crop out

e.jpg
375 and 250 savage a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agirlwithagun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?