Flying With Bullets on Southwest

NIGHTHAWK

Gold supporter
AH legend
Joined
Dec 18, 2013
Messages
2,281
Reaction score
6,924
Location
CA - NV
Media
148
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
4
USA/Canada
3
Mex/S.Amer
1
Europe
1
Australia/NZ
1
Hunted
RSA, CANADA, USA, NZ, MEXICO
I couldn’t find the quick answer,

Do I need to check my bag with Bullets that are sealed in a factory box.

** These are a single box of SWIFT Break-Aways, not ammunition. Just bullets.
 
My question is can you get through TSA with them?
 
I’m about to find out
 
I think for the most part Southwest could care less as long as you got through security.

Now if you take them out of your bag and start throwing them at others there might be a problem.
 
I think for the most part Southwest could care less as long as you got through security.

Now if you take them out of your bag and start throwing them at others there might be a problem.
:ROFLMAO:
 
Cleared security in my carryon
I am surprised. I thought for sure you would get busted for that. TSA let you pass with bullets (projectiles) in your carryin-wow!

Check bag no problem. Here is what Southwest says about ammunition.


Standard 5kg/11 pound rule. They do prohibit gunpowder, primers and percussion caps. Nothing said about bullets or brass.
 
I am surprised. I thought for sure you would get busted for that. TSA let you pass with bullets (projectiles) in your carryin-wow!

Check bag no problem. Here is what Southwest says about ammunition.


Standard 5kg/11 pound rule. They do prohibit gunpowder, primers and percussion caps. Mothing said about bullets or brass.

Checked bag = $35…

I’m saving my money for a $1,200 California pig hunt!
 
I had to get a supervisor to rule on same a few years ago at Love Field. Finally was OK'd to keep them. The carry-on was my only luggage, too.
 
I'm flying out of Nashville after attending SCI Convention. I had a box of Aframes bullet tips only in my carry-on. They hand inspected it and thought it was ammo. They told me I couldn't have ammo and I explained that it wasn't. They opened the box to confirm, re-taped it and all was good. It did take about 15 extra minutes.
 
TSA usually requires all ammo on a lockable secure box, no more than 11lbs and in checked luggage. If you have that on a carryon you may get a suprise at some point. Checking a bag is no big deal and not worth the risk.
 
Bare copper bullets (projectiles) not loaded into cartridges are generally
not considered ammunition by the TSA. However, they may still be prohibited in carry-on bags at the discretion of the TSA officer if they appear to be functional components of ammunition or resemble live ammunition.
www.tsa.gov
www.tsa.gov +2
  • Carry-on Baggage: Generally prohibited if they look like live ammunition or are attached to a casing.
  • Checked Baggage: Allowed, as they are not "live" rounds.
  • Discretion: TSA officers make the final decision based on whether they believe the item poses a security risk.
    www.tsa.gov
    www.tsa.gov +2
I’ve carried on bare Bullets (Not Ammo - or what I consider Ammo) in the past, it’s just been a while.

They didn’t even open my carry to exam them. I did watch them being viewed by TSA Through the X-Ray scanner…

Part of the point of posting this…
 
Last edited:
I couldn’t find the quick answer,

Do I need to check my bag with Bullets that are sealed in a factory box.

** These are a single box of SWIFT Break-Aways, not ammunition. Just bullets.
Glad you got TSA agents with brains. As others have pointed out, bullets aren't ammo.

Not having flown SW for some time, did not like the cattle car loading, I wasn't sure how they would do with guns and ammo. Turns out, at least in Colorado Springs and Nashville, they do just fine. From C/S the ticket counter lady just filled out a card, had me sign it, and threw it on top of the clothes in the gun case; didn't look at the shotguns at all. She did ask if I had any ammo, I didn't. Locked the case and walked away as they put it on the conveyor.
The return from Nashville, the ticket counter lady was ready to simply tape a new card to the case, but put it on top of the clothes since I opened it. Didn't ask about ammo, never looked at the shotgun. There were 2 boxes of 28ga in the case going home. Locked the case and walked away as they put it on the conveyor. While I went ahead and put 4 locks on it, I'm pretty sure 2 would have made either of these ladies happy.
Just one trip, and domestic flight only, it went as smoothly as it could have.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,574,035
Members
169,888
Latest member
Sonia16980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top