First Purchase of a Double Rifle

I'd go with a new or gently used Heym.

Krieghoff, Merkel and Chapuis are good too, but I like the Heym better.

Get something that has a good track record of dependability in the field. Don't take a chance on something you've never heard of or something very old and used.

If you are looking at DG you need something that is rugged and dependable. Why are you considering something you know nothing about? There are many of the more common brands to look at that have a good track record in the DG field, like Krieghoff, Merkel, Chapuis and Heym to mention but a few. Enjoy the search though. I have ordered a Heym, first class at reasonable cost.
+1

Beware of heavy caliber with wrong LOP and too light of a weight for you…example 10 pound 470’s will kick you to death
All great suggestions from the members. Headed to SCI in Nashville and hoping there may be some used doubles or even new sidelocks from reputable maker their.

All great suggestions from the members. Headed to SCI in Nashville and hoping there may be some used doubles or even new sidelocks from reputable maker their.
Good luck John. Please take lots of pictures of the various inputs along the way, even the journey is exciting.

Woah!!! Why would you want to pay anything near that price? Listen to everyone on this forum including me who has one to two quality DR. For $12,000-$16,000 you can get a very nice dependable DR
I didn't work too hard or spend too much on my double. The K gun has the features I like, it is beautiful, it fits me, and was just $15,000 new. I am happy and never had to worry about some used gun problem! And no doubling with the K gun.

Beware of heavy caliber with wrong LOP and too light of a weight for you…example 10 pound 470’s will kick you to death
Yes, all doubles must be fitted to the shooter. I am glad my dealer is a great gunsmith and he fitted me. He fits competitive shotgun shooters.

All great suggestions from the members. Headed to SCI in Nashville and hoping there may be some used doubles or even new sidelocks from reputable maker there.
I am sure there will be quite a few here at SCI. I am just hoping to have time to peruse!

At SCI and DSC you can see and handle more fine doubles, used and new, than almost any other venue anywhere. I can highly recommend stopping by the Champlin Arms booth. And of course, the folks from Westley Richards or Rigby would be delighted to give you a quote on a new bespoke masterpiece. :A Secret:

At DSC with a little more effort, JJ Perodeau probably could have talked me into a wonderful between the wars Birmingham .375 flanged. Fortunately, we are friends, and he let me slink away. :cry:

At SCI and DSC you can see and handle more fine doubles, used and new, than almost any other venue anywhere. I can highly recommend stopping by the Champlin Arms booth. And of course, the folks from Westley Richards or Rigby would be delighted to give you a quote on a new bespoke masterpiece. :A Secret:

At DSC with a little more effort, JJ Perodeau probably could have talked me into a wonderful between the wars Birmingham .375 flanged. Fortunately, we are friends, and he let me slink away. :cry:
Well went to the SCI convention in Nashville. Purchased another plains game hunt through the auction. Think I found the double for me a Beretta side by side in 470 NE Sidelock

20230225_121949.jpg

Well went to the SCI convention in Nashville. Purchased another plains game hunt through the auction. Think I found the double for me a Beretta side by side in 470 NE Sidelock
That is likely a very fine rifle.

Does it have what are called "hidden pins"? Normally on a true sidelock one should see the pins that hold the lock components in place on the side plates. I do not see them in the photo. They are visible in the rifle above the Beretta. Boxlocks are sometimes given side plates to provide a surface for engraving. No pins are involved, so the surface will be a clear canvas for the engraver. Either can be an excellent rifle, but all other things being equal, a true sidelock will bring a premium.

Wow, when you do something you do not mess around. Beautifull.

Lon

That is likely a very fine rifle.

Does it have what are called "hidden pins"? Normally on a true sidelock one should see the pins that hold the lock components in place on the side plates. I do not see them in the photo. They are visible in the rifle above the Beretta. Boxlocks are sometimes given side plates to provide a surface for engraving. No pins are involved, so the surface will be a clear canvas for the engraver. Either can be an excellent rifle, but all other things being equal, a true sidelock will bring a premium.
Yes hidden pin true sidelock is what I was told. Has trap door for two extra cartridges. More to come. Could not get RIA Auction to just sell it to me. Lol

Yes hidden pin true sidelock is what I was told. Has trap door for two extra cartridges. More to come. Could not get RIA Auction to just sell it to me. Lol
Then very nice. Be sure and figure that buyer's premium to your bid calculations.

Well I am wanting to be in the 30k to 35k range. RIA stated they were hoping for more. I did a hard search last night and can't find a comparable selling price. I can find were RIA said it should go for 59k if it gets to that it will be out of my budget

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross