First Convention: SCI or DSC?

franzfmdavis

AH elite
Joined
Apr 27, 2024
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
3,780
Location
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Media
27
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Europe
1
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Canada, RSA, UK
I am planning to go to one convention this January, which will be my first safari convention.

Would you recommend one over the other between the Dallas Safari Club convention in Atlanta and the Safari Club International convention in Nashville; or, are they essentially similar?

(Im not a member of either organization yet)
 
Hard call this year I think...

I think the jury is out on DSC Atlanta.. It promises to be a good show.. DSC is always great.. but with the change in venue, the lack of the DSC 100 (volunteer group that many people say is the best "feature" DSC provides over SCI), etc.. I dont think anyone can really say how DSC is going to play out this year..

In years past I would have taken DSC over SCI easily... but this year.. I really dont know..

I know Ive spent a lot of time in both Atlanta and Nashville over the years (Im from Tennessee.. and lived 3 hours north of Atlanta and 2 hours east of Nashvile for a very long time)... I'll personally take Nashville over Atlanta... theres really no competition there IMO..

but purely from a "which show will be better" perspective... thats a pretty hard call to make this year I think.. DSC could be stellar... they certainly should be trying to pull out all stops in light of all of the controversy theyve been dealing with over the move, the recent resignation of the CEO, etc..

but can they pull it off? I dunno...
 
I think you’d enjoy both. I’ve only been to DSC show. Atlanta this year is a big unknown though. You know what you’ll get with SCI in Nashville. The DSC show is a lot cheaper than SCI show both in membership and show cost.
 
I’ve been to SCI the last 2 years in Nashville and have really enjoyed it both times. I plan on going back again in 2025. I am also going to try and make DSC since I live in Georgia, I have never been to a DSC show and I’m interested in seeing what it’s like. If I only do one though, it will SCI in Nashville.
 
I am planning to go to one convention this January, which will be my first safari convention.

Would you recommend one over the other between the Dallas Safari Club convention in Atlanta and the Safari Club International convention in Nashville; or, are they essentially similar?

(Im not a member of either organization yet)
While I love both SCI is geared more to Africa in terms of most outfitters as DSC has so many deer hunting and other type outfitters beyond Africa. If I am hunting Africa SCI is the clear choice
 
I preferred DSC when it was in Dallas. However, there is no way I’m going to a convention in Atlanta. I will be going to Nashville. SCI hit a home run in Nashville last year.
 
I preferred DSC when it was in Dallas. However, there is no way I’m going to a convention in Atlanta. I will be going to Nashville. SCI hit a home run in Nashville last year.
Never been to Nashville SCI and if I attend a show this year I will go to Nashville.

I love the DSC show, however announcing the move to Atlanta one week after buying my $1,500 life membership really put a bad taste in my mouth.
 
Normally I would say DSC. However, with DSC in Atlanta, unless you know your way around evening entertainment will be hard. Nashville, however, entertainment is SAFE walking distance.

Atlanta is just another concrete jungle. Nashville not so much, yet.
 
this speaks volumes I think...
In fairness to DSC, I’ve never been when in was in Texas. I’m sure it was a terrific show, I just don’t have any experience with it. Also, I’m not a fan of Atlanta and try to stay out of there as much as possible.
 
I would say dsc if it were in Dallas. Between dsc in Atlanta or sci in Nashville - sci. I can’t imagine you not enjoying either one you go to though, as far as the show itself goes.

As already mentioned, sci is more expensive for entry, but there’s a pretty good chance you’ll find a hunt you want to book (or gun you want to buy), making the entry fees the least of your expense.
 
Thanks for joining DSC and/or SCI. Probably can’t go wrong with either convention but Atlanta might have a few wrinkles being a new short-term venue. Nashville is great and doesn’t disappoint. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
 
I have been to both and SCI was a lot bigger and geared more to Africa if comparing both of them. My vote would be SCI.
 
I’ve been to SCI in vegas (2x) and Nashville and DSC when it was in Dallas.

I’d pick SCI. It is true the entry fee is more. But the money is used to support hunting. And it isn’t such a price difference that it will make a difference.

Nashville is an excellent venue. Much preferred to Vegas.

Oh, and don’t pretend that you won’t buy stuff when there. Set aside some cash because you will find something.
 
I hope that board members from DSC are following these responses. I'm a DSC member and I'm not going to Atlanta and most of the DSC members I have talked to feel the same. I will either go to SCI or the Grand Slam Club/Ovis show...both are in Nashville this year. I'm definitely going to the TTHA show...which ironically is the exact same venue and dates that DSC gave up this year....in Texas.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,273
Messages
1,571,258
Members
169,317
Latest member
BrigetteY2
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top