Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA; Nebraska South Africa; Natal
Greetings everyone!

First off, I would like to thank any of you who contributed to my "Needing some scope mounting advice" post. Problem is licked with your help and the rifle shoots just fine. I'm going to risk it and attach a picture of a group I shot at 100 the other day. It is 3 shots with 1 fouler. The bottom right hole is the fouler. The three shot group measured .851 in going out to .922 with the fouler included. I'm hitting right at 2 in high at 100 which should put me dead on at 200 and 12in lw at 300. I just wanted to toss this out and see what happens. Load data will be under the picture.

In other news, I am 60 days out from my hunt in KZN and everything is set, paid for and now I just have so sit around and get excited! I'd better go shoot some ammo to calm my nerves.

WIN_20160430_16_36_11_Pro.jpg

Rifle: Winchester Model 70 Safari Express, .375 H&H

Scope: Zeiss Victory HD5 2x10x40

Brass: Hornady

Primer: WLRM

Powder: 66.8 gr VHT 140

Bullet: Hornady 270gr SPRP

COL:3.450

Glad you got the rifle sorted.

That will hunt for sure. I need to resize some brass myself. My load is pretty much final too, but I want one less go around first.

Enjoy the hunt!

That should get the job done, good luck on your Hunt

Glad you got the rifle sorted.

That will hunt for sure. I need to resize some brass myself. My load is pretty much final too, but I want one less go around first.

Enjoy the hunt!
Thank you! I need to stop trying to turn a .375 into a target rifle and just go shoot. And I'm needing to fire a new batch of brass myself. Have fun!

Thank you! I need to stop trying to turn a .375 into a target rifle and just go shoot. And I'm needing to fire a new batch of brass myself. Have fun!
Actually I think the 375HH is a bit underrated when it comes to shooting real accurate groups, I'd see what your Winchester can do if stretched out to 200yds especially shooting 270gn

Actually I think the 375HH is a bit underrated when it comes to shooting real accurate groups, I'd see what your Winchester can do if stretched out to 200yds especially shooting 270gn
I haven't cut one out but mine does at about 1.1" at the smallest to about 3" at worst. Next time I shoot it at 200 I'll measure one for you. I'm trying to get some 225gr SP to see how they do. With a reduced charge of faster burning powder.

Last edited:
I usually shoot 300gr Sierra Game kings using WIN 760, at 200yds my Whitworth X is scary accurate,my plan was to have a rifle that would shoot a heavy load at distances yet still have the close in knock down power but since I acquired a 404Jeff I have decided to back down to 250-270gr, When i get my Whitworth back from a trigger job I'll be back at the range working on new loads

Nice grouping,enjoy the hunt.

I usually shoot 300gr Sierra Game kings using WIN 760, at 200yds my Whitworth X is scary accurate,my plan was to have a rifle that would shoot a heavy load at distances yet still have the close in knock down power but since I acquired a 404Jeff I have decided to back down to 250-270gr, When i get my Whitworth back from a trigger job I'll be back at the range working on new loads

Win 760 is a great powder, one of the best in the heavier loads. I recomend trying a 250 GMX when you get your rifle back. Some rifles are scary accurate wth them. Mine isn't one of them. I spent two months trying toget them to shoot and failing, loaded up some SP and was accurate. Let me know what you find out.

Nothing wrong with that group. Anytime a "flyer" still keeps a 4 shot group under an inch your setup is just fine! Have a great trip.

Win 760 is a great powder, one of the best in the heavier loads. I recomend trying a 250 GMX when you get your rifle back. Some rifles are scary accurate wth them. Mine isn't one of them. I spent two months trying toget them to shoot and failing, loaded up some SP and was accurate. Let me know what you find out.
I should have the 375 back in a few weeks hopefully with a better than 5lb trigger

300winmag: With your 375 H&H zeroed at 200 yards, your comment that you'd be 12 inches low at 300 yards didn't sound right to me. I figured more like 7 to 8 inches low.

upload_2016-5-1_7-40-13.png

Nothing wrong with that group. Anytime a "flyer" still keeps a 4 shot group under an inch your setup is just fine! Have a great trip.
Thanks caddman! It should get the job done, I just need to leave it alone!

I should have the 375 back in a few weeks hopefully with a better than 5lb trigger
Let me know how that works for you. Mine still has a factory trigger which I think is a bit heavy but works if you have good trigger pull. Now if I cuold put double set triggers on it.....

300winmag: With your 375 H&H zeroed at 200 yards, your comment that you'd be 12 inches low at 300 yards didn't sound right to me. I figured more like 7 to 8 inches low.

View attachment 149862
.375 Ruger Fan, you are absolutely right with the information I gave you. What you couldn't know is that my loads are 2500 fps at the muzzle. This is what accounts for the extra drop. I could get extra velocity with a higher powder charge but I'm starting to crunch powder when I load now and I'm happy with the performance. Interestingly enough I'm getting the same velocity with 2 grains less powder than is listed in the reloading manual. Here is the data on my load:

Velocity:
Avg: 2501 fps (5 shots)
SD: 6
ES: 15

Pressure:
Avg: 48504 PSI
SD: 5
ES: 13

I averaged 2583fps out of my Whitworth using Win760

I averaged 2583fps out of my Whitworth using Win760
I was getting close to 2700 fps with the same charge with 250gr GMX's. Too bad It looked like I was shooting the target with buckshot!

What will you be hunting for?

What will you be hunting for?
I will be hunting kudu, wildebeste, warthog, bushbuk and impala. Hence the somewhat toned down load, which has performance similar to a 338 Win Mag. Thanks for stopping by CAustin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg