Feed Issues with RSM 416 Rigby

The_Wanderer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA, Australian Hunting Net
So I was shooting in the Big Game Rifle completion at my local range and was have feed issues with my Ruger RSM in 416. I need to take it to the smith to have a look at the rails and also the spring/feed system as I can feel as though its catching.

However I did notice that the claw looks as though it has been broken- please see images below is this "normal"? When it comes to guns Im not overly technical.

IMG_4241.jpg
IMG_4242.jpg
IMG_4244.jpg

That Ruger claw extractor appears to be normal. It does not look broken. The only thing I see is the edge of the extractor "looks" a little worn. Cycling issues can be any one or combination of things. A good gunsmith should be able to diagnose and fix.

Thans 458, now just need to find a decent smith!

Many feed issues with RSM in 416 Rigby.

Does it feed when you have only one round in the magazine?

Does the feeding get worse when you load 2 or 3 in the mag and the try to load?

The angle is to steep when the round comes out of the mag and then does not release from the rails causing the jam. Not even Ruger work on them sometimes as some are justnot repairable. If bought new I would send it back for a refund and buy a different rifle. If not find a very competent gunsmith to try and sort the issue but it can be a tricky repair.

You may want to make sure that it works 100% before using it on DG.

I hope you get it right.

The edge off the extractor has chipped. None of mine look remotely like that, and yes. That certainly can cause feeding issues.

I have handled many and never once seen one with a feeding issue. Every one I have touched has fed and functioned well........just my .02cents worth.

No problems with any of my claw extractor Rugers.

The edge of the extractor does look unusual. The line is so clean, though, it’s almost as if it was dressed down in such a manner at some point in its history. People will do strange things in an attempt to remedy a situation.

Regarding feeding, the claw, being such as it is, may not engage the rim of the groove properly, especially if the case is a bit late in being released from the rails. This would cause an issue.

Question: Do you routinely chuck one up the chamber prior to closing the bolt? Some do so that they can have four loaded, but it’s hard on the extractor, closing it over a cartridge already laying in the chamber (the M98 (the original) is designed to prevent the ability to close the bolt on a round in the chamber, mainly so as to make extraction a certainty, but most modern derivatives create some relief so that a person can close the bolt on an already-chambered cartridge...nevertheless, it’s hard on the extractor, especially one that is cast, as is Ruger’s).

I agree with CT, I had a guy bring one to me that was filed on because he was having a hard time single loading. I explained how a CRF rifle is meant to be fed and he had that RCA dog look on his face. Moral of the story is folks ought not manipulate things they don’t know anything about. I have several RSM’s and have shot many of them, never experienced any issues beside one that didn’t like a certain flat nosed solid.
Cheers,
Cody

So I was shooting in the Big Game Rifle completion at my local range and was have feed issues with my Ruger RSM in 416. I need to take it to the smith to have a look at the rails and also the spring/feed system as I can feel as though its catching.

However I did notice that the claw looks as though it has been broken- please see images below is this "normal"? When it comes to guns Im not overly technical.

View attachment 234974 View attachment 234975 View attachment 234976
I've owned one 77 in 220 Swift. My brother in - law had a 77 in 300 win mag.
We both had many malfunctions when cycling the bolt to retrieve a fresh round from the magazine. Not a big deal when varmint hunting but in a bad situation......
well we all get the idea . I like Ruger and have owned more since then, but nothing where dangerous game was concerned. Oddly enough I NEVER had an issue with a push feed rifle. Might start a new theead about CRF vs PF rifles since the debate seems to live. The last gun where I had trouble picking up a fresh round while cycling the bolt was my Kimber Montana .308. You probably can guess what type of feed it has.........

Bob

@The_Wanderer I don’t think your extractor is damaged. It appears to be an early generation extractor. Is your RSM by chance a Gen 1 which has the barrel band located “under” the wood in the fore end as opposed to being located in front of the fore end?
Here are a couple photos of the extractor on my RSM .416 Rigby. In comparison to your extractor you will notice a couple things. The “lead in” on yours is longer, meaning the straight or flat edge is longer and more noticeable. More importantly, yours has a straight flat surface with no “undercut” or “bevel”. The bevel on the under side of that lead-in better allows the cartridge rim to slide up under the extractor. Really hard to describe, sorry for the poor explanation and photos, but if you look closely you will see the difference.
Anyhow, replacing the extractor is very simple. You can look on YouTube for a video if needed. Getting an extractor may prove to be more problematic in Aus.
Here in the U.S. they have been available in the past from Numrich Gun Parts for about $25. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/
Having said all that, depending on the issues you are having it may not be the extractor that is the problem. You mentioned follower and feed lips and either one or both could be the issue. I would start with the extractor because it is cheap and easy.
If your follower seems to be catching or dragging that should definitely be addressed as well.
I hope you get it all sorted out! Let us know what you find out :)
563A534D-DAB6-4BB8-A4FC-5A38DC7027A7.jpeg

C54412F8-05F5-485C-965A-2A7B9CCBD01F.jpeg

1D902DAF-13C9-4658-86A3-47564157DCB3.jpeg

@The_Wanderer you did not reply to some questions which make it difficult to find the issue.

Even if the extractor claw is damaged it should not affect feeding unless the case rim cannot slip in underneath it.

The bolt face contacts the rim when pushed forward and the case rim slips in underneath the extractor as the case pops out of the magazine.

If the problem is different with different numbers of rounds in the mag then it is a feeding ramp or rail problem. Depending on the problem it may or may not be repairable.

The speed at which you reload the rifle may also have an effect on how serious the problem is.

As @IvW has already mentioned, your problem quite possibly (likely) lies somewhere other than the extractor. Impossible to diagnose with the info available and without actually putting hands on the rifle.
However, here is a bit more info for you. I knew I had an old gen 1 RSM extractor around here somewhere...
As mentioned previously, Ruger changed the extractor design at some point and my understanding is that this was done specifically because of feeding issues unique to the .416 Rigby.
In the first pic below you can see the flat on the extractor claw, just like yours. In the next two pics I have colored in with black marker the contouring Ruger did on the under side of the extractor claw.
Remember, when the cartridge is feeding out of the magazine box it is at an angle to the face of the bolt (nose up and right or left of center line depending on which side it is coming out of) and as it slides forward and is released from the feed lips, the rear of the cartridge (rim) must also move up and to the side. Effectively moving in all three axis. The older generation extractors don’t always allow the cartridge to “snap” into place properly, especially when coming out of the right side of the mag box. Left side usually isn’t as problematic and this might also be a clue. If your troubles arise when feeding out of the left side of mag box, it may be less likely an extractor issue and more likely something else like feed lips. Hope this is helpful and good luck.
107F373F-15DF-4CC5-A2B6-07CDAD42349C.jpeg

204CA183-314B-4F64-B80B-BFE9ACEA2582.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg