Expert Opinion Request

Josh P

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
United States, Canada
The most dangerous game may indeed be asking for expert advice on the internet, but Im up for the challenge.

There's a double rifle I've recently found, and I'd like to ask wiser individuals their opinion/casual evaluation of the piece. Being that it's an Army Navy rifle, I admit that I haven't the experience to determine make and quality strictly through the available photographs. Several names have been dropped in previous threads, but I don't know if it's in good taste to hassle them directly about my yard sale finds. If anyone feels they could be of service, and wouldn't mind taking a casual look, I would be very grateful for any guidance you might be able to provide. "Wise people consult wise people.", and such.

That seems to be the general consensus!
(Coffee time varies throughout Texas, in my experience. I'll contemplate in silence for a while.)

He’s in IL and works during the day so send him a PM with your contact info if you are serious. He will probably respond when he gets time.

Thank you. He's just across the river then.

Army & Navy was a store and not a gunmaker in their own right. Many of the firearms they sold were made by makers such as Webley & Scott, who made guns and rifles for just about everybody. The Army & Navy double rifles I've seen were mostly Webley long-bar or screw-grip boxlocks, and they were some of the very best made by the British during times gone by. I've also seen an Army & Navy take-down bolt-action rifle in .275 Rigby, by Rigby. Generally, Army & Navy quality was very good-at least from the stuff I've seen.

Agreed. Quite a few Army & Navy shotguns showed up in Eastern Canada when I lived there. They were good quality birmingham boxlocks.

This question is difficult to answer, mainly because Army & Navy was never a gunmaker. Like Lyon & Lyon, R.B Rodda & Co. and Manton & Co., they simply had real gunmakers manufacture firearms for them which they sold after stamping their own name on the wares. So each Army & Navy firearm must be assessed on their individual merit.

I know that among the well known English gun makers, W.J Jeffery made at least some of the double rifles for Army & Navy. As did John Wilkes, Midland Gun Co., Isaac Hollis & Sons and Charles Osborne.

My predecessor, the late Yusuf Salauddin Ahmed (the first Chief Conservator of Forests of Pakistan) used to own a beautiful .450/400 Nitro Express (3 1/4”) boxlock ejector which was made by W.J Jeffery for Army & Navy. He bagged nine Royal Bengal tigers, three Asian elephants and two saltwater crocodiles with that rifle while he worked for the British Imperial Forest Service between 1939 and 1948. I’ve seen and held that rifle in my hands many times. Quality stuff.
64B39BDD-E4B6-428B-93EC-7941BE7FB6AD.jpeg
E6E5337A-9984-4652-B3DF-5827D797B1E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty sure it turned out to be a Lancaster, but it's been modified post-manufacturer and comes with virtually zero information other than "it's a rifle and it has twice the normal barrel count." It's been a very informative, if short, kind of ride.

I didn't publicly post a link, because I'm not endorsing it, but a search for Army Navy 303 on GI should turn it up.

Army & Navy was a store and not a gunmaker in their own right. Many of the firearms they sold were made by makers such as Webley & Scott, who made guns and rifles for just about everybody. The Army & Navy double rifles I've seen were mostly Webley long-bar or screw-grip boxlocks, and they were some of the very best made by the British during times gone by. I've also seen an Army & Navy take-down bolt-action rifle in .275 Rigby, by Rigby. Generally, Army & Navy quality was very good-at least from the stuff I've seen.
I just bought a Westley Richards made for Army Navy in 500 NE. Rookhawk weighed in saying it was a great buy before I bought it

Good luck. I have always liked the Army Navy stuff from a history perspective - same for Manton. Not sure why. I just think it’s kind of cool that too makers built rifles for what we would consider today a kind of department store. Like Sears, etc.

A friend owns an Army Navy 450 Nitro that I wish I could afford. It screams “put me to work.”

I absolutely love Double Rifle threads/discussions! Looking forward to hopefully hearing more from this one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.