Experience with a 19mm .416 barrel for R8?

Luminous Ham

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
Has anybody had a .416 barrel in 19mm made for their Blaser R8?

If so, so how did that go, how did it shoot, price, etc?

If you’re talking factory barrels, I had one in 300WM. Never would have gotten it for what they cost (2.5x what the standard weight costs), but it was already on a gun.

It shot excellent, all of the factory barrels are phenomenal. That $3750 price tag though, I just can’t get there from here on why the semi-weight barrels are so much more expensive.

No, it won't be a factory barrel, .416 do not come in 19mm, has to be custom made. For my ultimate. Sorry I wasn't clear.

If you’re talking factory barrels, I had one in 300WM. Never would have gotten it for what they cost (2.5x what the standard weight costs), but it was already on a gun.

It shot excellent, all of the factory barrels are phenomenal. That $3750 price tag though, I just can’t get there from here on why the semi-weight barrels are so much more expensive.
Some of these prices scream, "the customers are ripe for the fleecing!"

I recently bought a 22mm 23” safari contour barrel in 416. Total rifle weight is 8lbs 4 oz with no scope or ammo. That’s in the professional stock with aluminum receiver. Not sure you’d want it lighter than that.

$3750 for a barrel? Wow!

I recently bought a 22mm 23” safari contour barrel in 416. Total rifle weight is 8lbs 4 oz with no scope or ammo. That’s in the professional stock with aluminum receiver. Not sure you’d want it lighter than that.
Thanks. I will have a scope and a surpressor, thinking that more than outweigh the thinner pipe.

Thanks. I will have a scope and a surpressor, thinking that more than outweigh the thinner pipe.
Just did some calculations. Seems there would be 220 cm3 more steel in a 22 mm barrel than in a 19 mm, 57 cm long. That would be around 1.7 kg. Scope plus surpressor around 1.2 kg, so a total of 0.5 kg less, which is probably more than made up for by the recoil reduction of the surpressor. All compared with open sights and no compressor. Right?

Just did some calculations. Seems there would be 220 cm3 more steel in a 22 mm barrel than in a 19 mm, 57 cm long. That would be around 1.7 kg. Scope plus surpressor around 1.2 kg, so a total of 0.5 kg less, which is probably more than made up for by the recoil reduction of the surpressor. All compared with open sights and no compressor. Right?
So I assume this isn’t going to be used for hunting? What barrel length are you considering?

$3750 for a barrel? Wow!

Yeah, to go up 2mm in barrel diameter double or almost triples the cost, depending on fluting, addition of barrel bands & sling mounts, etc.

Attachments

• Blaser R8 Rifle Barrels - EuroOptic.com.pdf
    554.5 KB · Views: 12
Why do you assume it's not to be used for hunting? It is.

I am not yet at a stage where I have considered barrel length, any suggestions?
Was just wondering about carrying the gun on a DG hunt with a suppressor. That was part of your final weight equation. I would think the extra length added by the suppressor would make the rifle very unwieldy to carry around on long walks through thick brush. Maybe if you went with a 20” barrel it wouldn’t be so bad, especially on the already shorter R8.

Was just wondering about carrying the gun on a DG hunt with a suppressor. That was part of your final weight equation. I would think the extra length added by the suppressor would make the rifle very unwieldy to carry around on long walks through thick brush. Maybe if you went with a 20” barrel it wouldn’t be so bad, especially on the already shorter R8.
Thanks, yes, good point.

The surpressor I have is modular, with all three modules it ads 6" to the total length. And the R8 is an inch or two shorter than a normal rifle, and I if I take off a module or two, I think I am getting closer (almost) to most normal rifles.

My 9.3x62 is shortened a bit, 20.5", so depending on the balistics of .416 ammunition I am likely to do the same for .416; in which case I think the length would be the same as most other rifles (with a longer barrel).

Thanks, yes, good point.

The surpressor I have is modular, with all three modules it ads 6" to the total length. And the R8 is an inch or two shorter than a normal rifle, and I if I take off a module or two, I think I am getting closer (almost) to most normal rifles.

My 9.3x62 is shortened a bit, 20.5", so depending on the balistics of .416 ammunition I am likely to do the same for .416; in which case I think the length would be the same as most other rifles (with a longer barrel).
And, one could argue if I shorten the barrel and take off surpressor modules it becomes even lighter, all to be tested.

Initial shooting seems to indicate that the possibility of adjusting the comb and length and height of the recoil pad makes quite some difference on how recoil feels.

And, one could argue if I shorten the barrel and take off surpressor modules it becomes even lighter, all to be tested.

Initial shooting seems to indicate that the possibility of adjusting the comb and length and height of the recoil pad makes quite some difference on how recoil feels.
And r8 is almost 4” shorter than a regular rifle with same length barrel

I had one made for about a 1000. 19mm, 20.5” 416 Ruger. Does great. Thread on here about process that I wrote.
Seems I just can not find that thread (the search function leaves something to be desired, seems the search titles only do not work). Do you remember when, approximately?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.