Elephants Are Thriving In Namibia

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Counting elephants is not easy. It takes experience, skill, and funding. The good news: elephants are thriving in Namibia. Gail Thomson, veteran journalist, and conservationist delves into the incredibly complex process of elephant censuses.

Based on interviews with Kenneth /Uiseb, Debbie Gibson, and Colin Craig
The African savannah elephant was recently classified as Endangered[1] by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), citing a decline throughout Africa of 60% over the past 50 years. Yet in Namibia elephant numbers are increasing and their range is expanding; a testament to sound long-term conservation policies. But how do we know that they are increasing? How do you assess the status of an animal that ranges over thousands of square kilometers with any degree of confidence? I spoke to the experts to find out.

The small four-seater Cessna aircraft is full. The pilot is flying slowly in a dead straight line, maintaining an altitude of 300 feet above ground level. Behind him, two passengers stare intently out the windows; searching the ground between two black rods fixed to the plane’s wing struts. One passenger suddenly calls out: “left, elephant bulls, two,” followed shortly by the other: “right, elephant cows, ten in, five out.” The fourth person in the plane, sitting next to the pilot, decodes their cryptic messages and jots them down on a datasheet.

Screenshot_38.png

This is fine, and valid for savannah, and savannah elephant (loxodonta africana), valid census made by areal survey, in Namibia, and other countries with svannah habbitat.

However, this type of survey is imposssible for forest elephant (Loxodonta cyclotis) and their numbers are at best educated guess. True numbers of forest elephant are almost impossible to estimate. In forest, they are practically invisible and very hard to count.

also nearly impossible to spot loxodonta africana in thick bush or riverine vegetation, where they would usually be found in most countries

Awesome news about Namibian Elephants!

As for the other topic, there is a canopy penetrating scanning method using LiDAR I think. I learned about it years ago in a remote sensing/ observations class. It is use for surveying the ground or locating man made structures under heavy canopy. I wonder if it could be used to survey forest elephants?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!