Elephant with a bow?

Lucask< interesting information - where did you get these details? I have Howard Hills book “Hunting the Hard Way” and the was a last minute addendum made just before publication to acknowledge his Elephant - apparently it was
Howard Hill stories have a tendency to get out of control, because he accomplished a lot. I became interested and wanted to separate what was real from all the rest. There are several articles and letters from the period just after he went on safari, and there are a couple of biographies written about his life after the fact. His great nephew is still alive and had a lot of material as well. He wanted to be the first modern man to kill an elephant with a bow he went so far as to test his equipment on a recently dead asian elephant in a zoo before leaving for Africa.

I remember watching a woman on one of the hunting shows take an elephant with a bow. That was several years ago. Don’t remember which one.
I think I saw the exact same show, she shot it, left it because it was going on dark, found it 500 yards from where she shot it the next morning. She drilled it, and it worked, I personally would not want to do that.

Hank, I could well be wrong. I read this book 40 years ago, as a teen. My dad had it. I read Jack O'Connor's book about "The Rifle" or whatever it was called about the same time. I thought it was the 1890's, and these two guys basically used the equivalent of an old English Warbow. I do distinctly remember one was 200lbs draw and one was 180lbs draw. Next time I go to my parent's house I'll see if Dad still has that book. I've heard of Howard Hill, and I think I actually have a DVD somewhere of "Tembo" and yes, the video is horrible, but it's neat. I think I'd prefer a ballista :)

Possibly Saxon Pope and Art Young?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
immediatebtc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.