Driving from Johannesburg to Polokwane

Edster

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
It seems that Airlink is only running one flight on Sundays. It leaves JNB at 4:30 in the afternoon, I arrive at JNB at 4:30AM. Thinking about renting a car and driving. I really don’t want to waste 12 hours stuck in the airport.
Looking for advise here guys. Are there any issues with driving myself?? Give me the ins the outs good and bad.

What are you going to do with the car once you get to your destination? A one way rental might be an issue, not sure.

What are you going to do with the car once you get to your destination? A one way rental might be an issue, not sure.

One way rental. Already looked at rental agencies over there and they do it. Like here it cost a little more

I think I would hire a car and driver

I have driven myself all over South Africa. Is it something for everyone? No.
If you are up to the challenge, have at it.

Issues: Left side of the road, unfamiliar roads, sleep deprived. Rental Center Hours? Pick up drop off, PIA.

Big advantage: Hire a car a driver your Outfitter arranges and you can just watch the scenery or snooze.

Got same problem. But will have PH pick us up in JNB. Extra cost. But better then spending the night.
Unless a flight happens in afternoon. But for now only 1 on Monday 10am. We land 10:30am in JNB
Coming back looks easier. Flight out early morning Polokwane to JNB. Then evening flight out.

I wouldn't hesitate at all. I've driven that area. Three hours will get you to the airport in Polokwane from Jo-burg. Steering wheel on RHS, drive on the LHS. But it's pretty easy. Just be careful at intersections.
All that being said, here are some questions:
Are you traveling by yourself?
Will you have a phone with internet? (Google maps)
Are you typically exhausted after the flight?
Are you adventurous? Ready for something new?
Do you avoid driving in unfamiliar areas as a rule?
Do you feel you're quite a capable driver?
Some things I can tell you..... They will have a drop off depot at Polokwane, but there is a surcharge. Rental is straightforward and easy. If you decide to rent and drive, you may want to add a day (or more) and see some sights. Travel at night is not recommended.
Oh, and almost EVERY town has a KFC! :E Laugh:

Did you ask your outfitter about the possibility of a Johannesburg pickup?

I live about an hour from Polokwane so I do this trip all the time.
It’s pretty much a double lane highway all the way and very safe to travel. There are 4 toll stations so make sure you have cash or a Visa card.
There are plenty of gas stations where you can get fuel, coffee and food.
You will be driving on the left but I managed driving on the right during a tour of Italy so I’m sure you will be fine.
Hertz car rental drop off is at the Toyota show room in Polokwane.
If I may ask: Who are you staying with? I know a few outfitters in the area.
Try not to speed, limit is 120 km/h, and the local law is active on that road.

Last edited:
Good on @EZRider to be able to give you some first hand info! The cars I've rented had an auto-pass for the tolls, so you could just drive through.

This is probably one of the easiest routes to follow. The airport is situated right next to the R21 highway. Come out the airport and join R21 north (signposted Pretoria). Carry on for about 20-25 mins and take the N1 north (signposted Polokwane, about the 6th offramp from airport) and just follow that all the way to Polokwane. Very simple.

Only do this if you get a GPS on your phone to guide you, or hire one. It will be silent for the vast majority of the way of course, but it only really matters when you need to get to your destination at the end. You dont want to be dithering around or worse still stopping and looking lost - asking for trouble. Make sure you enter a well known final destination and have someone collect you from there.

While I think it would be no trouble for you to do that, (other than side of road & it can be rough driving in Polokwane) I would think Outfitter would/could pick up as we do a lot or send a Shuttle bus, making life a bit easier ?

I wouldn't hesitate at all. I've driven that area. Three hours will get you to the airport in Polokwane from Jo-burg. Steering wheel on RHS, drive on the LHS. But it's pretty easy. Just be careful at intersections.
All that being said, here are some questions:
Are you traveling by yourself?
Will you have a phone with internet? (Google maps)
Are you typically exhausted after the flight?
Are you adventurous? Ready for something new?
Do you avoid driving in unfamiliar areas as a rule?
Do you feel you're quite a capable driver?
Some things I can tell you..... They will have a drop off depot at Polokwane, but there is a surcharge. Rental is straightforward and easy. If you decide to rent and drive, you may want to add a day (or more) and see some sights. Travel at night is not recommended.
Oh, and almost EVERY town has a KFC! :E Laugh:

Did you ask your outfitter about the possibility of a Johannesburg pickup?
Thanks for the info.
Nope have a hunting partner I'm traveling with
No internet for phone but I am seeing rental car has GPS option
Don;t know how exhausted I'll be. We leave Boston 10 pm on Friday and arrive Jburg 4am Sunday. Plus side is I can sleep anywhere!!!!
Adventurous--hell why not is my motto, along with Hold my Beer
Drove a tractor trailer for a number of years, I've been to places you don't want to read about
Capable---well depends on who you talk to. Up until a year ago I worked in Boston, in and out of the city every day. To date and I had been doing it for 24 years not a single scratch on any of the company vehicles I have had thru the years.
I'm aware of the surcharge, doing the same thing when we leave the US. Renting a car in Maine one way to Boston.
No night travel for me I hate doing that!!
KFC ehhhh I can live with out it

Waiting for reply from outfitter now. His listed price is $300 p/p, already probably gonna be out the cost of the ticket we won't be using and another $300 each is a bit steep in my book.

I've got another 28 days to get it all figured out

I live about an hour from Polokwane so I do this trip all the time.
It’s pretty much a double lane highway all the way and very safe to travel. There are 4 toll stations so make sure you have cash or a Visa card.
There are plenty of gas stations where you can get fuel, coffee and food.
You will be driving on the left but I managed driving on the right during a tour of Italy so I’m sure you will be fine.
Hertz car rental drop off is at the Toyota show room in Polokwane.
If I may ask: Who are you staying with? I know a few outfitters in the area.
Try not to speed, limit is 120 km/h, and the local law is active on that road.
Thanks for the info. Staying at African Trophy Pursuits -- just reserved a car from THrifty, talked with Travel agent she wasnt to happy with the time we would arrive back at Tambo on our way out as well. So it looks like I might be keeping the car all week. A one way rental twice is the same cost as keeping car for the week, If you have any suggestions I'm listening

I have driven myself all over South Africa. Is it something for everyone? No.
If you are up to the challenge, have at it.

Issues: Left side of the road, unfamiliar roads, sleep deprived. Rental Center Hours? Pick up drop off, PIA.

Big advantage: Hire a car a driver your Outfitter arranges and you can just watch the scenery or snooze.
Biggest issue is the "other" drivers on the.road....it will be a changing day in your life....
Weekends are the worst...
Get the PH to pick you up...relax and enjoy the drive....

Here is my take on driving on the wrong side of the "normal" road.

I have lived all over the world with my time in the military, including 3 years in Australia. Quite a bit of time in Japan, Singapore, Europe and all over the middle east.

The transition between not driving on your normal opposite and driving on your normal can be confusing. Many times switching back and forth is problematic.

The US Postal Service drivers do this regularly, but this is their job and they don't fly for 20 hours before they do it.

Sleep deprivation and then doing something fairly taxing (like this) is wrought with risk.

Professionally as a safety person, I would not do it.

Unless you:
1. Get a full night of sleep on the plane (Ambien).
2. Get an international GPS (not your phone, because you might have issues with your plan/chip) and not have it work. International GPS is about $100.
3. Drink plenty of fluid.
4. Take lots of breaks as needed.

I have never driven in Southern Africa only East Africa, and you are not going to be familiar with the rules like you are where you live.

If someone wanted $400-600 to pick me up I'd gladly pay it.

We flew from California to Germany for our last overseas move, with 3 kids under 5 years of age. I have driven in Germany many times, but wouldn't have done it in a million years.

Our day started at 0130 on Thursday, we drove 180 miles to LAX, then flew from LAX to Dallas to Frankfurt, Germany. We were picked up by my boss in Frankfurt. Because we had small children on the aircraft we didn't sleep at all. By the time we got to our hotel rooms on Friday night it was 6PM.

If I would have had to drive I don't know how it would have went, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it.

Also be aware of the lack of traffic enforcement outside of the cities. When we were touring our driver got popped with a few speeding photos that had to be taken care of when we turned the vehicle back in.

Also if you decided to do it yourself make sure that you have extra insurance to cover any circumstance that might arise including breakdowns.

I would just hire a driver and kick aback and enjoy the ride.

Well, from the info you have me, I'd say you'd be more than capable, and wouldn't worry at all! However, did you say you already paid for the flight from Johannesburg to Polokwane? It would kind suck to be out that money, and especially to spend more in order to lose it! LOL So, I do have another suggestion. (Especially since you asked for other suggestions)
Look into Afton House/Afton Safari Lodge or AfricaSky Guest House. I stayed at Aero Lodge once too, and it was nice as well. There's others..... Just make sure you pick someplace that will pick you up at the airport after you land in Johannesburg, and take you back before your flight to Polokwane. Have a great sleep, some food and drinks, relax by the pool..... Then fly (with your already paid for tickets) to your outfitter all rested up and ready to go!

Well, from the info you have me, I'd say you'd be more than capable, and wouldn't worry at all! However, did you say you already paid for the flight from Johannesburg to Polokwane? It would kind suck to be out that money, and especially to spend more in order to lose it! LOL So, I do have another suggestion. (Especially since you asked for other suggestions)
Look into Afton House/Afton Safari Lodge or AfricaSky Guest House. I stayed at Aero Lodge once too, and it was nice as well. There's others..... Just make sure you pick someplace that will pick you up at the airport after you land in Johannesburg, and take you back before your flight to Polokwane. Have a great sleep, some food and drinks, relax by the pool..... Then fly (with your already paid for tickets) to your outfitter all rested up and ready to go!
Thumbs up.

Originally before Delta decided to wait until May/June to restart we would have gotten to Jburg on the 10th and had planned to stay at AfricaSky. The flights on Qatar put us in Jburg on the 11th at 4am. Not really wanting to waste an entire day, that the reason for the whole driving thing. Have already talked to Travel Agent, it’s a possibility of getting some of the airfare back, just gonna have to wait a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you