Drilling rifle in 375

Newtothis

Reaction score
I was wondering if a drilling rifle can be made to have a 375 to fit the dangerous game just in case of course there are 13ga drilling rifles but I want to know how f you could make one or one naturally exists at all.
Considering drilling rifles are somewhat cheaper then normal I could acquire one and making it the dangerous game worth by today’s standards would be helpful

I was wondering if a drilling rifle can be made to have a 375 to fit the dangerous game just in case of course there are 13ga drilling rifles but I want to know how f you could make one or one naturally exists at all.
Considering drilling rifles are somewhat cheaper then normal I could acquire one and making it the dangerous game worth by today’s standards would be helpful
I have seen one that was 10 ga 3 1/2 x 10 ga 3/12 x 375h&h. They are not common by any means but I know that one existed

Far more common are ones chambered in 12ga and 9.3x74r which is close to a 375h&h and legal in some areas for dangerous game by my understanding.

Haven’t seen one myself in .375 HH Mag but 9.3x74r are somewhat common. A friend of mine just bought a 12ga/12ga/9.3x74r.

This one has two barrels of 9.3x74r for the buffalo and a shotshell for the bird off its back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.20.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.20.12 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.20.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.20.13 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
I have a double rifle drilling in 9.3x74R x 9.3x74R x 16. It belonged to a friend, and in his hands, it took a couple of buffalo and a lion in Zimbabwe over a decade ago. Sadly, I have only taken a couple of feral hogs with it.

Pre-war German Double Rifle Drilling in 9.3x74R

A very collectable drilling is the M30 JP Sauer in 12x12x9.3x74R that was issued to aircrew in the North African campaign in WWII.

A .375 in a drilling would be a rare thing indeed. Very few older models would use any rimless case. One can get a modern drilling in 9.3x74R in the Blaser D9.

I remember seeing a drilling for the luftwaffe at a gun show, many years ago, I believe it was in the above stated 9.3x74r and 12 gauge configuration, fell in love with the drillings it was a beutifull rifle, if only that little pesky issue of having no money for it had popped up, it would’ve been mine.

I have a double rifle drilling in 9.3x74R x 9.3x74R x 16. It belonged to a friend, and in his hands, it took a couple of buffalo and a lion in Zimbabwe over a decade ago. Sadly, I have only taken a couple of feral hogs with it.

A very collectable drilling is the M30 JP Sauer in 12x12x9.3x74R that was issued to aircrew in the North African campaign in WWII.

A .375 in a drilling would be a rare thing indeed. Very few older models would use any rimless case. One can get a modern drilling in 9.3x74R in the Blaser D9.
Nice clamshell! Would be good medicine to follow up a wounded leopard.

I saw a drilling offered in a rimmed nitro express in Cabela's treasure room once...I cannot remember exactly the caliber. Another dealer bought it and marked it up in price.

Krieghoff do a Double Rifle Drilling, including in 375.

I’m sure if you asked them, they would do a barrel set with a single 375 barrel, most likely with 20 gauge shot barrels.

Is it only the Sauer drillings that are collectable? I recently found a Mauser drilling with 2x 16 bore and a 8x57JRS rifle barrel, without much other info. I could ask for more info about it.

Krieghoff makes a big five safari drilling. Google "Krieghoff Big Five safari drilling 375 "
You will find the pdf from their website with prices etc

Is it only the Sauer drillings that are collectable? I recently found a Mauser drilling with 2x 16 bore and a 8x57JRS rifle barrel, without much other info. I could ask for more info about it.
Not at all. I currently own three. None is a JP Sauer. Many German drillings are marked with the name of the maker. Others carry the name of the retailer. Still others have no markings at all other than the proof marks and are called "guild" guns. Period German shotguns follow the same practice. The key is to judge the gun on its own merits. Two of the finest, and most expensive, German guns in my gun room are guild guns. For instance, the pre-war SxS pigeon gun below has no maker's name on it, but is as fine a Continental creation as you will likely see.

Pigeon gun.jpg

pigeon gun 3.jpg

Not at all. I currently own three. None is a JP Sauer. Many German drillings are marked with the name of the maker. Others carry the name of the retailer. Still others have no markings at all other than the proof marks and are called "guild" guns. Period German shotguns follow the same practice. The key is to judge the gun on its own merits. Two of the finest, and most expensive, German guns in my gun room are guild guns. For instance, the pre-war SxS pigeon gun below has no maker's name on it, but is as fine a Continental creation as you will likely see.

View attachment 477438

View attachment 477439

Thanks @Red Leg

this is the only pic I currently have. But should get some more by Wednesday, together with some other information:
1658174874815.png

I haven't seen one since the late 1970's in a local gun shop. Back then there were two or three that turned up. Probably came home with WWII vets. I always thought that was a great idea. I can't remember how much they were selling for and never really entertained the idea of owning one. the state took much of the fun out of hunting by not allowing rifles for anything other than coyotes. Not that I didn't enjoy my time afield with slug guns, muzzleloaders, handguns and recurves.

Possible is a Drilling with a big-bore barrel...

If you want the combination 2x buckshot and 1x rifle this should work with nearly any Drilling, consider the case head diameter.
Rebarreling to a 2x rifle / 1x buckshot will not work with every Drilling, the action has to withstand the higher forces. If you know that a certain model has been available with 2x rifle, then it´s worth to discuss with a gunsmith.

Alternatively ask Heym or Krieghoff, they will build a custom made.
Or Hambrusch, attached a picture of his 3x rifle Drilling in .700 NE...
Hambrusch.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadia68W7

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.