Drew the Kodiak mountain goat tag

If there a reason non residents want to draw a Kodiak tag vs. just hunting RG480 which has a 2 goat limit and a 7 month season?

Look for the yellow ones. Old billies are yellow not white. Groups of white gots are Nannie’s, kids and maybe some young billies.

Prepare for wet conditions (like wetter than wet!) as has been posted many times above. If your are hunting where I think you are- thick alder lower elevations, matted thick grass on steep slopes, then fairly steep upper elevation slopes with mud/rock mix areas where the goats are. Good luck.

Prepare for wet conditions (like wetter than wet!) as has been posted many times above. If your are hunting where I think you are- thick alder lower elevations, matted thick grass on steep slopes, then fairly steep upper elevation slopes with mud/rock mix areas where the goats are. Good luck.

And enjoy the devil’s club!

@Green Chile ... When is your hunt sir?

Mine went through turmoil: I thought I was going to lose it for a second year. (Who knows? Still might if the weather decides to take it from me.) But I bought my ticket to Kodiak yesterday, so it feels like it's a go. I'm excited. We'll be there the last week in September.

My situation has been a roller-coaster, whirlwind of emotions. I drew the Kodiak goat tag on the 3rd year of applying but couldn't go due to calendar conflicts. Then a PH friend called with the cancellation opportunity of a lifetime on leopard/exportable ivory in Zim. That's in 2 weeks...Sept 15-30. I'm reloading 416 Rigby now for that.

I'm excited to hear how your hunt goes. Weather is always a factor there as you WELL know. Good luck!

Thank you for that update. I wish you well on your African venture. It's always nice to have options, isn't it?

Good problems to have. Too many hunts. I leave for Montana on September 13 to chase mountain goats. Been trying to draw this permit for 17 years and it’s just now starting to seem real.
Good luck with your hunts sir!!

Best of wishes @Racer00 ... I look forward to photos and a fantastic story.

I look forward to all of these mountain hunt reports. We don't get a lot of them here. Wishing everyone good weather windows and strong legs and lungs!

Throw some Yaktrax or similar lightweight boot crampon in your pack. They work great on wet grass, snow and ice
IMG_1325.jpeg
IMG_1324.png
IMG_1324.png

Was looking forward to the hunt report for your goat as I too am trying to draw but I’m also excited for your Ele/Leopard hunt report since that’s another hunt I’m actively planning.

The slip on crampons are great advice. Also, I'm sure you have excellent gaiters for mountain use. One company I like their mountain products is Swazi from NZ.

Hello Green Chile,

Yes, Congrats on drawing the goat tag.
Yours Truly has lived in Alaska a tic over 40 years and I’ve hunted deer many times on both Kodiak Island and Afognak island, as well as our smaller islands, up and down the coast.

Although I have to confess that, I’ve never hunted mountain goat, (only Spanish goat on Hawaii), I can promise you that as others have already said, you will very likely need best quality rain gear on Kodiak.
I like Helly Hansen and I like Filson waxed canvas rain gear as well.
Wax canvas will stand a lot more physical abuse (scraps, scratches, stick pokes, etc.)
However, it is essentially too heavy to wear while climbing steep mountains.
So, there’s that.

Speaking of rain gear, my favorite boots for coastal Alaska (rain, fog and snow) while deer hunting here, are the LaCrosse brand “Burley” model, knee high rubber pull-on type, with the “air-bob” soles (rows and rows of rubber “bullet tips” on soles and heels).
I like the non-insulated ones and I just wear good socks.
When my socks get damp from sweating, I can just change them for dry ones.
Insulation in rubber boots becomes rancid within a few days of trekking through rough geography.

As for climbing up and down our wet, mossy cliffs for goat, I will say that there are likely better boots than mine available for same.
If I were young again (if a frog had wings) and was planning a Kodiak goat hunt, I would definitely buy a pair of top quality, water proof boots, that are designed for mountain climbing and could be laced down snug around my feet, ankles and calves.
Also, I would chose ones with tall tops (not the more popular ankle height ones).
Then, I would get busy wearing them to seriously train in, toward my mountain hunting plans.

You mentioned “tricks” for this sort of hunt.
Bring some extra pairs of 100% cotton socks, each pair in it’s own separate zip lock, quart size, freezer grade, food storage bag.
Bring an artist’s type paint brush (inch wide + or -) and cut the handle short.
A ladies makeup face powder brush also works well for this and already has a short handle.
In the event it doesn’t rain, the brush is very handy to keep your optics lenses free of dust, spruce needles and such, without scratching the lens coating.

I don’t know where to get plastic film canisters any more but, I always carry a pull-through bore oiler in one.
No doubt the internet would yield a source for some various small, water tight, sturdy, plastic containers of some description.
My pull-through is made from a tiny fishing sinker, a length of thin but super strong line and a tuft of stout cloth, impregnated with a little bit of Vaseline).

100 pound test braided fishing line (locally known as “halibut line” around here), is what works well but there are other strong thin lines which are suitable no doubt.
Upon firing a shot, of course your rifle bore becomes instantly set upon with invading moisture.
I have seen even stainless steel barrels with specks of rust in the rifling, from the owner failing to swab it after firing a shot in wet weather.

Parting Shot, as it were:

More Alaska hunters are killed while hunting mountain goat than all others combined up here.
Most are due to falling and some are due to heart attack.
So, please do be careful, as no goat stew is worth dying for.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on too long already so, now I will stop.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Yes I bought a well used 300 win mag from a family from there. Mountain goat is what t he man hunted. Lots of them. In the last hunt when he did not return, his family went looking for him. Found him on his horse back passed away due to heart attack. He had used that winchester since late 60's. I bought it as is. Keeping it un modified condition. They sent me some pictures too. A rifle with history and dreams.
Krish

If there a reason non residents want to draw a Kodiak tag vs. just hunting RG480 which has a 2 goat limit and a 7 month season?
I wonder if it might be nothing more than the mystique of Kodiak Island (which is the result of plain & simple successful advertising).
Having been there many times, for deer hunting and fly fishing (salmon & Trout both), I have not seen any evidence that the bears there are any larger than other parts of Alaska I have hunted and fished at.
Likewise, I’ve never experienced any bear on Kodiak (or anywhere else) that came to investigate the sound of my rifle shot.
Neither have any of my friends here experienced any if the above.
Not saying those concepts are lies, just saying they might be a bit over stated.

That said, Kodiak is a wonderful part of Alaska (despite plenty of wind and rain).
It has world class fishing, black tail deer hunting, waterfowl hunting, and enough grizzly bears to make a visiting person’s chance of seeing one or more, quite likely.
Plus as we’ve all seen in the thread, Mountain goat hunting on Kodiak is available.
Last but not least, Kodiak is rightfully known as, “Alaska’s Emerald Island” and the scenery there is fantastic.

I look forward to reports from those members returning from Kodiak.
It is one of my favorite places in Alaska.

RG480 is the largest unit on Kodiak and the most liberal. Just wonder why anyone would fight with the draw units when they don't have to?
1693424151203.png

How many guides are working RG480? I'm sure there are some but I don't know of any. Access and logistics is tough. Terrain is very tough even by Kodiak standards. Lot of exposure to weather in that area and more days than not get blown out. There's a reason why it's setup that way and how many are actually successful there? Reminds me of the unlimited bighorn sheep areas in Montana...super tough. Goat hunting is already hard but RG480 is for experts.

Agreed @Milo. I am trying to decide what I realistically think our odds are. I know there are a lot of goats. I know as a resident I can basically shoot anything (and would/will, BTW). I have seen ADFG harvest reports for the area that show success rates of 40% +/- a bit. From a number of sources I've talked to, I think it's going to come down to finding the right spot. Fingers crossed. I have a couple of friends that said they have hunted spots in 480 where they basically had goats right outside the tent. I think that's the exception, but not impossible at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LetaAvera2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?