Double rifles aren't just for Africa

I have heard a lot of people say, "I just can't justify spending that much on a rifle I'm only gonna use for one trip" Why? Why just one trip? I understand it is not for everyone, but with some practice, a double rifle can be employed in lots of hunts. I have been running the ballistics on the 470 and with a rifle that is capable of proper accuracy I feel like it is a solid 150 yard gun, and maybe 200 in some cases. I had the opportunity to test my theory today. The results were
1 buck at 135 yards, 1 doe at 77 yards, and
1 doe at 65 yards. All one shot kills, the shot on the buck was a touch back, I think that was me possibly, but it was still a clean one shot kill he ran about 50 yards and piled up. It pole axed both of the doe, they didn't even kickView attachment 569467View attachment 569468View attachment 569469
i really appreciated this thread because at least for me it reminded me our beautiful DRs are not just for Africa. well done!

That is an interesting quandary. I guess the smart thing would be to get the extra K gun barrels, but then if something in your action breaks you are completely out of business. If you had an entire extra rifle in 9.3x74 at least you could still hunt. That is a tough one.

I had the same dilemma and decided to get a K-Gun with two barrel sets (470NE and 9.3x74R). I had the rifle set up with both sets from the factory so it was cheaper than ordering it afterwards. My reason for deciding on getting a barrel set rather than an extra rifle was easier travel - one receiver with two barrel sets is smaller and lighter than two rifles. Also, this way I get to practise with the same stock and the same triggers on lower recoiling and cheaper ammo. Even though I hand load the difference between loading 9.3 rounds vs 470 is significant as is the availability and cost of projectiles and brass. On the negative side, as the rifle’s weight is designed around the 470NE it is needlessly heavy for 9.3 rounds, though it reduces recoil rather well, the same exact round fired out of my single shot is a different experience. Another benefit of the smaller chamberings in Krieghoff is the ability to user adjust regulation.

On the other hand Chapuis is a nice rifle, and one can’t have too many of these.

I had the same dilemma and decided to get a K-Gun with two barrel sets (470NE and 9.3x74R). I had the rifle set up with both sets from the factory so it was cheaper than ordering it afterwards. My reason for deciding on getting a barrel set rather than an extra rifle was easier travel - one receiver with two barrel sets is smaller and lighter than two rifles. Also, this way I get to practise with the same stock and the same triggers on lower recoiling and cheaper ammo. Even though I hand load the difference between loading 9.3 rounds vs 470 is significant as is the availability and cost of projectiles and brass. On the negative side, as the rifle’s weight is designed around the 470NE it is needlessly heavy for 9.3 rounds, though it reduces recoil rather well, the same exact round fired out of my single shot is a different experience. Another benefit of the smaller chamberings in Krieghoff is the ability to user adjust regulation.

On the other hand Chapuis is a nice rifle, and one can’t have too many of these.
It is a tough call. I like the idea of practicing with the same platform and also it would make travel a whole lot simpler I think. I need to sell a few things I have hanging around my gun room and either get a second set of barrels or an entire other rifle.

Great thread. Congratulations on your purchase of a double rifle.

Nice to see so many people using them on other than Dangerous Game; they are fun to shoot.

The adjectives are great too - "pole-axed", and "flattened"; I flattened a zebra with my 450/400 at 75 yds a couple years ago. Flattened is a good way to describe it. It didn't fall down - it went from standing on all fours to laying on its' side without an inch of forward travel.

I wanted to shoot a bison with it, I brought it along on the hunt - I ended up using my 375 H&H - it just wasn't a good opportunity for an iron sight double.

Enjoy your rifle

The doubles always enjoy a bit daylight, this time on wild boars
IMG_20190120_114612.jpg

I've used one of my doubles (1896 Sauer in 11mm) for bear hunting in Canada successfully a few times.

I have heard a lot of people say, "I just can't justify spending that much on a rifle I'm only gonna use for one trip" Why? Why just one trip? I understand it is not for everyone, but with some practice, a double rifle can be employed in lots of hunts. I have been running the ballistics on the 470 and with a rifle that is capable of proper accuracy I feel like it is a solid 150 yard gun, and maybe 200 in some cases. I had the opportunity to test my theory today. The results were
1 buck at 135 yards, 1 doe at 77 yards, and
1 doe at 65 yards. All one shot kills, the shot on the buck was a touch back, I think that was me possibly, but it was still a clean one shot kill he ran about 50 yards and piled up. It pole axed both of the doe, they didn't even kickView attachment 569467View attachment 569468View attachment 569469
Stud Buck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IdaHendric

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.