Double Rifle Serial Number Location Under the Forend

Yukontom

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA, Canada 2, New Zealand, Zimbabwe 2, Mozambique, South Africa
I am searching for advice and/or opinions on traveling to Africa with a double rifle. The rifle is a Charles Osborne 450-400 3-1/4" made (or marked as made) in London in the 1920s (pic below). The only serial number on the rifle is on the barrels on the latch under the forearm which means the forearm needs to be popped off to see the number. I wonder if anyone has any experience with a similar situation with US Customs, or transiting through South Africa to Zimbabawe.

I am already researching having an engraver put new numbers on the exterior just to make life easier. This brings up another question on anyone having experience with an engraver to work with in the midwest US.

Osborne 450-400.jpg

My DR’s seem to always have the number on the receiver so you have to break it down. You get used to it

I definitely would not have anyone engrave serial numbers on that rifle. Not even sure that it is legal or not in USA. You will not have a problem in Zim especially if you have your temp license filled out in advance.

Di not worry and enjoy your hunt.

Lon

In the US the SN needs to be on the action and not on the barrels. The action is what is considered the firearm since the barrels can be removed and replaced with other barrels. Perhaps not easy but it can be done.

In the US the SN needs to be on the action and not on the barrels. The action is what is considered the firearm since the barrels can be removed and replaced with other barrels. Perhaps not easy but it can be done.
Jim P I think you are correct for new stuff but the rifle is an antique which may or may not make a difference and someone managed to import it to the US as-is. My receipt from the dealer when I traded for it says "no ser. number". I have also seen a number of other imports with the serial numbers on the barrel.
The guys at CBP may even not know or care about where the number is when I get my 4457 filled out and stamped. I may make a trip to their office here and explain the situation and get comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lavina8021

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.