Do I Really Need Binoculars?

Your thoughts?
When you need the bino, and not have it, you will feel sorry.

I used my bino on every safari. (5 safaris under belt) And I also use it to measure distances.
When in the blind, for me is easier to use a bino than to raise the rifle for observing.
It is true that in safari area, most likely you will not have people farming in crop fields, but back at home you might have. It is not safe or ethical, or within gun safety rules, or by mistake, to observe over the field and get occasional people or hikers in the rifle scope. Better to use bino.
When driving in a car, it is easier to pick up a pair of binoculars than rifle for observing.
If on rifle you have wide angle scope, low magnification, you might need better power on a bino for longer distance observing. Yes, PH will do that job for you, but sometimes PH is pointing something in the distance, and if it is not a rifle situation, I would like to have my binoculars to watch with him.
 
I used mine everywhere including Penns woods deer hunting. I've seen deer in heavy cover within 100 years (eyes/ears/throats) that my naked eye missed.

Put them to your face every time your not moving and you'll surprised what you see.
You are right--they are great at 100 yds, and you can actually pick apart the bush layer by layer as you focus deeper into what is behind the next layer of trees and then change focus into the next layer. There is a reason deer can see you first, and it takes wise binocular use to even the odds.
 
Mine generally stay on the truck unless I am beside @One Day... and know I will have to hear about it later.

True enough :E Rofl:

But mine allowed me to tell you each time whether you were looking at the baby Springbok or at the trophy Springbok ... then tell you the distance.

:A Gathering:

And of course I cannot resist one more time: the rifle is for shooting, the binocs are for hunting, and the minute you are more than 100 yards from the truck, you handicap yourself by not having your binocs.

Hunting is more akin to recce than assault :E Shrug: Love you Brother assaulter :love:
 
Last edited:
True enough :E Rofl:

But mine allowed me to tell you each time whether you were looking at the baby Springbok or at the trophy Springbok ... then tell you the distance.

:A Gathering:

And of course I cannot resist one more time: the rifle is for shooting, the binocs are for hunting, and the minute you are more than 100 yards from the truck, you handicap yourself by not having your binocs.

Hunting is more akin to recce than assault :E Shrug: Love you Brother assaulter :love:
Every Springbok is a trophy my friend. I did appreciate you and your binos…
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,980
Members
169,676
Latest member
Jeffreymorrise
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top