DIY failure importing trophies

My first instinct has always been to DYI everything.

As I'm approaching 60, I don't think I am as clever as I used to think I was...
@Safari Dave
I was never the smartest so I got my outfitter/ taxidermist to do the lot. Cost a bit more but no hassle. Just covid stuffed it up for a while but all turned out well.
Bob

I truly do not want to be perceived as being flippant. I also fully understand your frustration.

However, I would strongly suggest hiring your own middle-man to handle this process. Yes, it will cost more money, but my time and my level of frustration has a price tag as well. I use Safari Specialty Importers. They are US based, so I have no idea if they are available to help you. But someone in Canada fills the same business model.

There are things that we simply do not do as well as people who do it every day. Often - even typically - with this sort of thing they have relationships with the key members of the bureaucracy at every port of entry. That too has a value. Figure it into the budget and hire them to run this sort of obstacle course.

Really hope you get it sorted out.
@Red Leg
100% agree. Might cost a bit more but I have better things to do than argue with idiots.
As you said they have all the knowledge so let them deal with it.
More time fore me to hunt and drink.
Bob

I just got a shipment through Toronto a month ago, I live in Alberta and was a little worried, but I’ve use Talon Distributing for years now and it only took 1 day to clear. But I had a similar problem with my first shipment for Africa, shipped to Edmonton and Dale took care of it quickly. It was a new inspector that had absolutely no clue of Cities permit, and thought every animal needed a permit to be brought into Canada.

There are a lot of people stating the OP should’ve used an importer. Does anyone have Canadian recommendations, or even a list of importers?

See above comment from @Spooksar, Talon has done 3 shipments for me with zero issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBurns

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.