Hookboy88

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hey guys, what distance do y’all sight in Optics on y’all’s 22 rifles?

I am in the South East so usually an inch high at 100 yards is great for my deer rifles.

I was thinking 50 yards on several of my 22s I am adding optics to. If I use them for hunting it would be playing around rabbit hunting close to the house.

I’d go with 50 yards. That will give you a zero at somewhere around 20 yards and again at 50, depending on how fast the ammo is you are shooting.

And get a little suppressor. You will love that setup and will shoot more because of it. The quieter report will be easier on neighbors and friends/family in the house.

I’d go with 50 yards. That will give you a zero at somewhere around 20 yards and again at 50, depending on how fast the ammo is you are shooting.

And get a little suppressor. You will love that setup and will shoot more because of it. The quieter report will be easier on neighbors and friends/family in the house.

Ok. So my thinking was right.

Thank you sir

Depends on what I'm shooting, good squirrel gun I normally do 25 yards, fun gun 50 yards, gun for the range for when I'm waiting for other guns to cool down 100 yards.

I have not hunted squirrels in years but I am not above doing so by any means.

I may have to play around with a couple and figure out what suits me best

22LR velocity ranges commonly from 1050 fps to 1700 fps. Use a online calculator with your actual velocity to calculate your +1/-1in MPBR

Hookboy88 you didn't specify 22 long rifle or 22 magnum thus I'll provide my 2 cents for 22 long rifle and 22 magnum.

Long Rifle:

I zero my .22 rifle at 25 yards using 40 grain CCI standard velocity for squirrels and raccoons mainly, occassionally for rabbits but around here rabbits are a bit scarce due to coyotes.

The scope is still zeroed out to 30 - 35 yards using 40 grain CCI high velocity ammo.

Since 22 ammo varies, accuracy also varies, by brand and bullet, lead or copper plated, round nose or hollow point, grain weight 36 grains or 40 grains, and powder weight sub sonic, standard, or high velocity.

22 Magnum:

I zero my scope for 100 yards using CCI ammo specifically for coyotes and groundhogs.

my advice
22lr standard velocity 50 mtrs
22lr high velocity 70 mtrs

I zeroed my 10/22 at 25 yards. Most partridge are head shot inside that distance, and don’t see my rabbits beyond that distance either.

Im the same... my 10/22 is zero'd at 25 yards... I pretty much only hunt squirrels, raccoon, rabbits, and paper targets with it these days.. and none of those shots are greater than 25 yards.. so a 25 yard zero has made sense for me...

Hookboy88 you didn't specify 22 long rifle or 22 magnum thus I'll provide my 2 cents for 22 long rifle and 22 magnum.

Long Rifle:

I zero my .22 rifle at 25 yards using 40 grain CCI standard velocity for squirrels and raccoons mainly, occassionally for rabbits but around here rabbits are a bit scarce due to coyotes.

The scope is still zeroed out to 30 - 35 yards using 40 grain CCI high velocity ammo.

Since 22 ammo varies, accuracy also varies, by brand and bullet, lead or copper plated, round nose or hollow point, grain weight 36 grains or 40 grains, and powder weight sub sonic, standard, or high velocity.

22 Magnum:

I zero my scope for 100 yards using CCI ammo specifically for coyotes and groundhogs.

22 LR

I do 50 or 75 depending on what I am using it for. 50 for 90% of applications 75 for shooting squirrels without a dog.

No matter the zero sight-in distance (s), the rifle and ammo together have to be accurate enough for the job. And that doesn’t even take into account shooting conditions like cross wind. I have mine zeroed at 40 yards. The scope’s parallax is also close enough to zero at that distance to be of negligible error. I shoot either Lapua or Eley match ammo in a Win 52 Sporter with a Leupold 4x rimfire scope. This past summer/fall I went 31 for 31 on rock squirrels at ranges varying between about 30 yards and 45 yards. I use a rest for these shots. The vital area on these is about like all such squirrels and prairie dogs… a vertical rectangle of about 1x2”.
I use this same method for prairie dog control on my property and that of a couple of neighbors. IMO, ranges approaching 80 yards clearly demonstrate the practical hunting limits of the 22rf. For PDog and squirrel-sized game, anything near a 100% lethal hit range for my rifle and ammo is closer to 50 yards with a rest. My rifle and ammo combination is about as accurate as any available outside 22 benchrest equipment.

Eley match ammo, is certainly one of the best on the market.

No matter the zero sight-in distance (s), the rifle and ammo together have to be accurate enough for the job. And that doesn’t even take into account shooting conditions like cross wind. I have mine zeroed at 40 yards. The scope’s parallax is also close enough to zero at that distance to be of negligible error. I shoot either Lapua or Eley match ammo in a Win 52 Sporter with a Leupold 4x rimfire scope. This past summer/fall I went 31 for 31 on rock squirrels at ranges varying between about 30 yards and 45 yards. I use a rest for these shots. The vital area on these is about like all such squirrels and prairie dogs… a vertical rectangle of about 1x2”.
I use this same method for prairie dog control on my property and that of a couple of neighbors. IMO, ranges approaching 80 yards clearly demonstrate the practical hunting limits of the 22rf. For PDog and squirrel-sized game, anything near a 100% lethal hit range for my rifle and ammo is closer to 50 yards with a rest. My rifle and ammo combination is about as accurate as any available outside 22 benchrest equipment.

I was consistency hitting a 1.5" square swinger at 190 yards. I'm shooting Lapua Super Long Range. So far it has been the most consistent I have tried. My chamber is not cut for Eley I would try it if I were able to run it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevieMiel

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob