Dip and Pack Cost?

pbs76

Reaction score
I have eleven animals in SA right now, and I have a quote from the taxidermist for dip and pack. From what I have heard from others, the quote I have received is awfully high. What do you think? What should I do?

Blue Wildebeest Cape, Skull and Backskin - $198

Impala Cape, Skull and Backskin - $138

Eland Cape, Skull, Backskin and Feet - $220

Kudu Cape, Skull and Backskin - $198

Bushbuck Cape, Skull and Backskin - $138

Nyala Cape, Skull and Backskin - $187

Waterbuck Cape, Skull and Backskin - $198

Gemsbok Cape, Skull and Backskin - $187

Black Wildebeest Cape, Skull and Backskin - $198

Springbok Cape, Skull and Backskin - $138

Gemsbok Skull and Skin - $187

Admin Fee - $95

Total - $2,082

I would also like to know what this kinda stuff would cost. I'm trying to figure out which animals I want to go for, but I have to factor in all the costs, from trophy fee to dip & pack to shipping and taxidermy. Seems impossible to piece all this together. Its looking more and more like I'm going to bring home 4 animals instead of 12.... : (

I used Trophy Pro, which is affiliated with who I hunted with, Limcroma.

All my plainsgame were $120 cape, skull, backskin

And right at $500 total for crating and documentation fees.

Are your trophies with the taxidermist already or still at the outfitters?

I paid right at 1000.00 last year for

1 Kudu skull, horns, cape, backskin
2 Blue Wildebeest skulls, capes, backskins
1 impala skull, horns, cape, backskin
1 blesbok Skull, horns, cape, backskin
1 black wildebest skull

You have more animals (2x) than I did, but I think your average price per animal is about the same as I paid. I didn’t do my black Wildebeest hide because I was starting to run low on the budget...

Reactions: BWH
I have eleven animals in SA right now, and I have a quote from the taxidermist for dip and pack. From what I have heard from others, the quote I have received is awfully high. What do you think? What should I do?

Blue Wildebeest Cape, Skull and Backskin - $198

Impala Cape, Skull and Backskin - $138

Eland Cape, Skull, Backskin and Feet - $220

Kudu Cape, Skull and Backskin - $198

Bushbuck Cape, Skull and Backskin - $138

Nyala Cape, Skull and Backskin - $187

Waterbuck Cape, Skull and Backskin - $198

Gemsbok Cape, Skull and Backskin - $187

Black Wildebeest Cape, Skull and Backskin - $198

Springbok Cape, Skull and Backskin - $138

Gemsbok Skull and Skin - $187

Admin Fee - $95

Total - $2,082
First of all trash the back Skins! Everyone wants this stuff on their first safari then realize it was not so valuable. Why mount everything?
It all sounds high priced to me but please don’t try to bring everything home.
Philip

I would also like to know what this kinda stuff would cost. I'm trying to figure out which animals I want to go for, but I have to factor in all the costs, from trophy fee to dip & pack to shipping and taxidermy. Seems impossible to piece all this together. Its looking more and more like I'm going to bring home 4 animals instead of 12.... : (
Hunt the 12and just bring home the few most important ones!

If you are doing all shoulder mounts, I agree with Philip, forget the backskins. I had a bunch of cull hunt full size flatskins done and they're laying on the bed in the spare bedroom. No one ever sees them unless I give the nickel tour. Looking back, it was money I could have spent on another animal and shoulder mount.

Think about doing euro mounts on most of the trophies.

Shoulder mounts only for those that are really important for you.

I have 5 PG and a cape buffalo.. My cost $1195

Just ask someone like Splitting Image taxidermy for their dip/pack cost sheet. They will email it to you.

Let us know what area you are hunting and where you got the dip-and-pack prices from. It can vary all over the place.

It is like me asking how much a elk mount cost here in the US. Some areas are a lot cheaper than where I live but I could go broke driving to the shop.

IMG_2457.PNG
I used swiftdip and everything has been great and clearly communicated. Much more resonable prices then alot have posted as well!

In the Northern Cape (Game Over Taxidermy - Kimberly) I paid $100 per animal, no back skins, and another $100 for the crate, 7 animals $800. Delivered to JNB airport.

I always use SwiftDip and paid a flat rate of $100 per animal for full processing.

I hunted this season with Infinito Safaris and Charl (owner) has his own dipping and packing facility and this service was included in my package price @ no cost ....ok yeah he probably works in somewhere but it is not seperate so it was much easier knowing exactly how much it was gonna cost as I drew a bead on the nyala that wasn't in my package ...lol.
Charl also has his own tanning business and although I am not having everything mounted this sure took a lot of the worrying and calculations out of the equation .

My stuff wasn't done in South Africa, but here are the prices for what I had done. I had 11 animals as well with a couple of extra items thrown in. My total cost for dip and pack was $1538.00 and the cost to get the stuff from Windhoek to George Bush Intercontinental Airport was $1754.60. My stuff just cleared customs last month.

1 x Blesbok Skull, 1 Pair Horns and Cape
1 x Impala Common Skull, 1 Pair Horns and Cape
1 Kudu Skull, 1 Pair Horns, Cape and Back skin
1 Oryx Skull, 1 Pair Horns, Cape and Tail
1 Red Hartebeest Skull,1 Pair Horns and Cape
1 Springbok Skull, 1 Pair Horns, Cape and Back skin
1 Warthog Full Skull including set of Tusks and Cape
1 Black Wildebeest Skull, 1 Pair Horns, Cape and Tail
1 Blue Wildebeest Skull, 1 Pair Horns, Cape and Tail
1 Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra Skin
1 Waterbuck Skull, 1 Pair Horns, Cape and Back skin

1 Zebra full skin
1 Zebra cape
1 Eland skull & horns
1 Kudu skull & horns
1 Warthog skull & cape
1 Bushbuck skull, horns & cape
1 Reedbuck skull, horns & cape
1 Waterbuck skull, horns & cape
1 Impala skull, horns & cape
TCI in Zimbabwe did the dip & pack: $700.00 this was Sept. 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg