Detailed Trophy (self) Clearing Process?

dustyvarmint

AH senior member
Joined
Dec 24, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
4
Deals & offers
1
I have a trip to RSA planned in August and one of the major pieces I need to solve is gathering information on clearing a trophy shipment myself to save a few dollars. I've seen DLS's helpful post and I've really worked through the USFWS website (information is very scattered there), but I still need some more detailed info:

1) How is the shipment addressed from Africa - to your house or just to the port of entry? And then how would they know to contact you?

2) Do you fill out any declarations ahead of time or only after being notified that the shipment is at the POE?

3) What is the form number of the proper USFWS declaration?

4) I can't remember what number 4 is :)...

thanks for the help, dv
 
Answers to your questions

I have a trip to RSA planned in August and one of the major pieces I need to solve is gathering information on clearing a trophy shipment myself to save a few dollars. I've seen DLS's helpful post and I've really worked through the USFWS website (information is very scattered there), but I still need some more detailed info:

1) How is the shipment addressed from Africa - to your house or just to the port of entry? And then how would they know to contact you?

2) Do you fill out any declarations ahead of time or only after being notified that the shipment is at the POE?

3) What is the form number of the proper USFWS declaration?

4) I can't remember what number 4 is :)...

thanks for the help, dv

My answers are below.
I have brought in mine and my Dad's trophys 4 times using both NewYork and Baltimore. Be aware if you are bringing in a Warthog it either has to go to a USDA Licensed facility for Quarantine or must be tanned overseas to forego the Q. If you do not have a dip and pack company picked out, I recommend "Dip and Pack". Make sure you understand costs for packing before you go. Long story short I almost got scr...d by my Safari Co and his in the pocket Taxidermist over there. Also make sure that your Safari Company understands you do not want to go through any broker for importing.

1) Have it Addressed to your home address. It should be coming air freight so there will be an Airway Bill Number that you ask from the dip and pack person so you can track it. The air cargo company will call you once it reaches the port of entry also.

2) You do all the paper work at the port of entry. USFW agents will clear the shipment and fill the necessary form out. I always call before I hunt and a week before the shipment arrives and talk with them.

3) See #2
 
Forgot to answer #4 ...... You're on your own with this one :)
 
Thanks TexasAg. That clears up a lot.

happy hunting, dv
 
You need to have declaration form 3-177 filled out prior to arriving with meeting Fish and Game. It's only one page and all the information you need for it will be sent to you from your taxidermist and shipping company. Just cleared mine a week ago or so and it was very easy.
 
You need to have declaration form 3-177 filled out prior to arriving with meeting Fish and Game. It's only one page and all the information you need for it will be sent to you from your taxidermist and shipping company. Just cleared mine a week ago or so and it was very easy.

I was wondering about that. What info would taxi provide? I'm only planning on having one shoulder mount done by taxi and probably have one backskin tanned by a tannery somewhere. All else will just be the skulls and horns. Planning to take shipment home, deliver horns and cape for shoulder mount and sent backskin to tannery myself.

thanks for the info, dv
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,364
Messages
1,574,202
Members
169,936
Latest member
longdiscstaran1974
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top