Deer Load 460 Wby

Put together a nice woods load for the 460.

300gr Barnes XFN and IMR7383 for 2,075fps (on the Oehler at 15ft).

Cuts cloverleafs at 50 yards, within an inch of POA using the 100 yard irons.

Average deer kill on my place over the past 12 years is 35 yards...so the Leupold 1.5-5x that came with the rifle is now on the 375 Flanged Mag N.E. Ruger Number 1.

View attachment 562526View attachment 562529
@tarbe
I used to load my mates 45-70 with 350gn speers at 2,100fps. In a Marlin guide gun the bloody lever would cut my index finger after a few shots( big hand in a small loop )
It was dynamite on pigs.
Bob
 
Are you talking about powder or Cody?????
@375 Ruger Fan
I hope your not implying @Bullthrower338 Cody is bulky and slow. Man from what I've heard he is faster than a speeding bullet when he's offered Vegemite. He runs like a thousand startled gazelles.
Me on the other hand I move like a thousand dead gazelles .
Bob
 
@375 Ruger Fan
I hope your not implying @Bullthrower338 Cody is bulky and slow. Man from what I've heard he is faster than a speeding bullet when he's offered Vegemite. He runs like a thousand startled gazelles.
Me on the other hand I move like a thousand dead gazelles .
Bob

Let me just say that all my ninja skills....I learned from Cody!

Just don't walk too closely behind him in the bush...you may get bush-whacked. I have the scars to prove it!!
 
@tarbe
I used to load my mates 45-70 with 350gn speers at 2,100fps. In a Marlin guide gun the bloody lever would cut my index finger after a few shots( big hand in a small loop )
It was dynamite on pigs.
Bob
That Speer is a pretty tough bullet! I would think a great choice for large oinkers.
 
tarbe, I would think that the noise from that thing would kill most deer at 35 yds. LOL Now I feel under gunned knowing that I'll be hunting with my 6.5 X 55 Swede.
It isn't loud....but the smell from the nitroguanidine coating (it is a triple-base powder) is not the most pleasant.

Cody named this powder "Cat-piss" because of the smell. :)
 
I've used a 416 RM for deer and attempted to hunt black bear with it. The only thing that would stop me from hunting deer with your nice looking 460 would be the constant rain during hunting season here. Deer season in my area is early October which is a bad time to be outside unless you enjoy being cold and VERY wet.
 
Last edited:
It isn't loud....but the smell from the nitroguanidine coating (it is a triple-base powder) is not the most pleasant.

Cody named this powder "Cat-piss" because of the smell. :)
As we used to say, I love the smell of cat piss in the morning!
 
I’ve always hated the .460 Weatherby Magnum, but even I have to admit… that is one regal looking rifle, @tarbe . And your hand loads don’t appear to be generating any overtly unpleasant recoil.
I love any cartridge based on the Rigby case.

It is a strong and voluminous case and I appreciate the nice straight-sided neck walls.

The capacity allows for adequate velocity at low pressure. I think of it as a "modernized" 450 #2 NE. :) Handloading is the key to loving the 460...for me anyway.
 
You are fine using the 460 regarding its age. I read that Roy Weatherby used the 416 Rigby as the parent cartridge for the 378,460 series; so it is much older than 1959.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,270
Messages
1,571,121
Members
169,265
Latest member
Rosemarie9
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top