Dangerous Game Hunting Safari for 2018 help

As the OP is Canadian, only CITES rules apply for importation. It's a great time to hunt lions as a Canadian.

It surely is! These some deals on lions now that cant be passed!
But there is roughly a 6months window at the moment to still hunt lions like this, so anyone still keen, jump on it. From there the restrictions get so bad that the prices will get 10times more and availability according to permits will be 1/10 of what it is currently.

These will be SA export restrictions?

The key will be also to make sure your paying for a lion to export. Some deals are based on the lion not being taken and just pictures being taken. Make sure the right questions get asked if a raised lion is your pick.

Yes its just export restrictions. There is deals now to hunt lion legally, but not export anything, as a new venture to the USA market, at half the price of a lioness hunt, and also for the rest of the world that want to experience it if the normal rates are to high. Its a great opportunity, but the window is small.

What new export restrictions is SA bringing in?

Its an import restriction from USFW, if its a ranch lion hunted in SA. At this stage it cant be imported to the USA.

I understand that but you said there was only a small window to take advantage of the lion hunts at this price...I was just trying to understand what's changing.

I believe it is just a question of if guys will still raise the same amount of lions since they make less or if the rules change now that trump is in office.

If the can be hunted again and brought back to the states you will see the prices go right back up and for the reason of they can.

The regulations of lion hunting in SA is changing a lot. Lately nature conservation has notified us that we have another 6 months to conduct hunts in the old fashion. The new implementation will strict the lion hunts to about 1/10 of what we are allowed still today, so it will take op the price for a lion from 1/5 - 1/10 of what the cost are at the moment, and thats just being conservative.

I personally think with Trump, if it opens again prices will come down a lot. That would be ideal!

Not if export becomes a problem...prices would go through roof then if demand increased and supply decreased.

That is what is happening in a few months, demand is high, and supply will be low according to permit restrictions not availability of lions, thats why after the 6 months window it will be so expensive. But if trump opens again, supply is high and demand, it will stabilize again

I'm confused....I thought you said SA was changing regulations to reduce captive lion populations and make export more difficult. If that happens sup[ply would be severely limited.

SA is starting to restrict the permits, not the populations, they cant control the population, however if theres no financial need to keep lions anymore as a farmer, i am sure those farmers will destroy them. But at the moment there is no export for USA. If Trump opens it again, supply and demand will meet at the same level. If the regulations change by the end of the year in SA side, permit supply will be low, not the lions, and that would push up the price severely. But until such change, the supply on the SA side is very high, and hunters should take advantage if it while its still possible. Lion hunting in SA will surely close in the near future.

I agree that buffalo is the cheapest of the big 5, but disagree about fences. In 2016 the place I was hunted was 24k acres continuous, one owner. A section is 640 acres which is 1 square mile. 24k acres is 37.5 square miles, so a fence really does not matter. Now if your talking 100 acres, then that is certainly another story.

Last edited:
Can you share were you seen the info on permits for Sa lions. Is it on the usfws site or some other place. That is great news that I missed seeing.
The press release was late October and has been published in The Hunting Report, DSC, and SCI publications. If I can put my hands on a copy I'll post it.
Regards
Philip

The press release was late October and has been published in The Hunting Report, DSC, and SCI publications. If I can put my hands on a copy I'll post it.
Regards
Philip

Thank you Philip

Well my two cents is hunt both. That's what I did. On a package deal I was able to hunt and shoot a large male lion and a buff on the same hunt. I am by no means a wealthy fellow I just did my homework and hooked up with a top notch outfitter. My hunt was done in RSA and I was concerned about hunting a "fenced property" also. All I can tell you is if you go with the right outfitter on the right place fences aren't an issue. Sure I drove through one going in but that's about it. On the right place these ranches are enormous and I certainly walked and walked and walked and walked to the tune of untold foot sore miles every day. Great experience would do it again in a heart beat. @Andri Fox Safaris is who I went with and highly recommended . Beans with @Tootabi Valley Safaris hunts buff and others in Mozambique and Simon Leach @TMS is good one also. @spike.t does Zambia and @christophe morio hunts Benin, Burkina Faso, and Tanzania for Cape and forest buff as well as other DG. Any of the above outfitters would put on an excellent hunt at a reasonable price. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. That's the bottom line.

Great feedback gizmo, right on point!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross