Custom Gun Case Maker

AustinL

AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
352
Reaction score
1,088
Location
Kerrville, Tx
Media
160
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
7
Hunted
USA, South Africa
I am looking to have a custom gun case made with some alligator accents from hides off of alligators me and my son have harvested. I am in the Texas hill country but could ship to maker if needed. I would potentially like a belt and some wallets or other items made as well. The gun case will be a graduation gift for my son so definitely want quality.

All that to say I am looking for recommendations on makers to reach out to. Hides were professionally tanned.
 
Have you had personal experience with either of those companies. I was looking at leather link studios but could not confirm if they would use my hide
 
Yes both, leather link would probably be cheaper and faster.

AGI has made a lot of things for me.
 
Here is an elephant hide bag Leather Link studio made. Very high quality.
IMG_7668.jpeg
IMG_7669.jpeg
IMG_7670.jpeg
 
Lance Nixon at Nixon Leather in Nebraska has made some nice wallets, holsters, belts, slings & sheaths out of alligator. Here’s a link to his Facebook page with a search for some of the alligator items he’s made for customers:


I know he’s made some scabbards & rifle cases but his main focus is the smaller items listed above.
 
I believe @rookhawk may also have some good recommendations.
None, actually. Pre-Covid, the last of US imported elephant leather from legal trophy hunting was going for $65 a sq foot.

I find the average person has no comprehension of the present value of exotic hides.

My deepest regret on this forum was selling an elephant hard case made of rosewood for $2500ish dollars and then getting the correct gun to fit it 6 months later. It would cost me $7500+ to make such a case today.

Always a case where the cobblers children have no shoes. The things I’ve owned and thought i wouldn’t need go way up after I sold it.
 
Rookhawk, you’re giving me pause. I was going to sell the elephant gun bag above because I have another one from a different maker. Of course it’s not an elephant hard case.

I also have 2 buffalo hide cases coming from that maker and only use one or two at a time. What to do?
 
Spoke with African game industries on Friday will try and contact leather link next week.

Thank you for the promising leads
 
AGI is very reasonable when using your provided, tanned leather
 
I have two questions about this:

1.) Is there any way to enjoy something approaching a traditional, custom gun case that is also tough enough and secure enough to check on an airplane and actually travel with (no, I haven't been drinking LOL). I'm wondering about something like a strong aluminum case with a nice removable leather cover, or the other way around, maybe an aluminum case that would perfectly and precisely fit the custom wood and leather case inside. I know that back in the day these wonderful gun cases were actually loaded on steam ships and taken 'round the world. Seems like these days our only option is a rotomolded case or an aluminum case......

2.) Is there any potential issue going into foreign countries (or returning to US) with a gun slip, case, or other item made of elephant hide being questioned as an illegal wildlife import and being confiscated?

In other words, are these wonderful wood and leather gun cases now only useful as a trophy room display case? Or is there a realistic way to actually use them.
 
I agree, a “traditional” look and modern security case would be nice. The modern aluminum cases could definitely be covered in leather, straps added, etc.

It would be very pricey though. And add weight

More practical, would be a legit antique leather case traveling inside a pelican or aluminum cases with foam cutouts to fit the leather case
 
AGI is very reasonable when using your provided, tanned leather
I have a buffalo leather hide coming and a giraffe skin (hair on of course). Bought a buffalo cartridge slide from AGI and pleased with quality. Good to hear they do custom work. Did you get leather remnants returned?
 
My everyday boots are a pair of grey Tony Lama elephant hide boots made in 1985....they have been resoled 5 times. They are the toughest leather boots I have ever owned. Also have a belt.
Elephant leather I would rate it as the most stuff resistant leather known !
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,438
Messages
1,576,314
Members
170,547
Latest member
OmarWink86
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top